Current:Home > NewsHaiti orders a curfew after gangs overrun its two largest prisons. Thousands have escaped -Wealth Evolution Experts
Haiti orders a curfew after gangs overrun its two largest prisons. Thousands have escaped
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:44:46
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Authorities in Haiti have ordered a nighttime curfew after an explosion of violence when gang gunmen overran the two biggest prisons and freed thousands of inmates over the weekend.
A 72-hour state of emergency began Sunday night. The government said it would set out to find the killers, kidnappers and other criminals who fled.
“The police were ordered to use all legal means at their disposal to enforce the curfew and apprehend all offenders,” said a statement from Finance Minister Patrick Boivert, the acting prime minister.
Gangs already were estimated to control up to 80% of Port-au-Prince, the capital. They are increasingly coordinating their actions and choosing once unthinkable targets like the Central Bank.
Prime Minister Ariel Henry traveled abroad last week to try to salvage support for a United Nations-backed security force to help stabilize Haiti in its conflict with the increasingly powerful crime groups.
Haiti’s National Police has roughly 9,000 officers to provide security for more than 11 million people, according to the U.N. They are routinely overwhelmed and outgunned.
The deadly weekend marked a new low in Haiti’s downward spiral of violence. At least nine people had been killed since Thursday — four of them police officers — as gangs stepped up coordinated attacks on state institutions in Port-au-Prince, including the international airport and national soccer stadium.
But the attack on the National Penitentiary late Saturday shocked Haitians who are accustomed to living under the constant threat of violence.
Almost all of the estimated 4,000 inmates escaped. Three bodies with gunshot wounds lay at the prison entrance Sunday.
In another neighborhood, the bloodied corpses of two men with their hands tied behind the backs lay face down as residents walked past roadblocks set up with burning tires.
Among the few dozen people who chose to stay in prison are 18 former Colombian soldiers accused of working as mercenaries in the July 2021 assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse.
“Please, please help us,” one of the men, Francisco Uribe, said in a message widely shared on social media. “They are massacring people indiscriminately inside the cells.”
Colombia’s foreign ministry has called on Haiti to provide “special protection” for the men.
A second Port-au-Prince prison containing around 1,400 inmates was also overrun.
Gunfire was reported in several neighborhoods in the capital. Internet service for many residents was down as Haiti’s top mobile network said a fiber optic cable connection was slashed during the rampage.
After gangs opened fire at Haiti’s international airport last week, the U.S. Embassy said it was halting all official travel to the country. On Sunday night, it urged all American citizens to depart as soon as possible.
The Biden administration, which has refused to commit troops to any multinational force for Haiti while offering money and logistical support, said it was monitoring the rapidly deteriorating security situation with grave concern.
The surge in attacks follows violent protests that turned deadlier in recent days as the prime minister went to Kenya seeking to move ahead on the proposed U.N.-backed security mission to be led by that East African country.
Henry took over as prime minister following Moise’s assassination and has postponed plans to hold parliamentary and presidential elections, which haven’t happened in almost a decade.
Jimmy Chérizier, a former elite police officer known as Barbecue who now runs a gang federation, has claimed responsibility for the surge in attacks. He said the goal is to capture Haiti’s police chief and government ministers and prevent Henry’s return.
The prime minister, a neurosurgeon, has shrugged off calls for him to resign and didn’t comment when asked if he felt it was safe to come home.
___
Associated Press writers Joshua Goodman in Miami and Danica Coto in San Juan, Puerto Rico, contributed to this report.
___
Follow AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Biden’s withdrawal injects uncertainty into wars, trade disputes and other foreign policy challenges
- Wrexham’s Ollie Palmer Reveals What Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney Are Really Like as Bosses
- LSU cornerback Javien Toviano arrested, faces video voyeurism charges
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Democrats promise ‘orderly process’ to replace Biden, where Harris is favored but questions remain
- Mamie Laverock speaks out for first time after suffering 5-story fall: 'My heart is full'
- Homeland Security secretary names independent panel to review Trump assassination attempt
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- These are the most common jobs in each state in the US
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Erectile dysfunction can be caused by many factors. These are the most common ones.
- The 10 biggest Paris Olympics questions answered, from Opening Ceremony to stars to watch
- Air travel delays continue, though most airlines have recovered from global tech outage
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Guns n' Roses' Slash Shares His 25-Year-Old Stepdaughter Has Died
- Jennifer Lopez Celebrates 55th Birthday at Bridgerton-Themed Party
- Cell phones, clothes ... rent? Inflation pushes teens into the workforce
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Maine state trooper injured after cruiser rear-ended, hits vehicle he pulled over during traffic stop
FACT FOCUS: A look at false claims around Kamala Harris and her campaign for the White House
Investors react to President Joe Biden pulling out of the 2024 presidential race
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
LSU cornerback Javien Toviano arrested on accusation of video voyeurism, authorities say
EPA awards $4.3 billion to fund projects in 30 states to reduce climate pollution
Lightning strikes in Greece start fires, kill cattle amid dangerous heat wave