Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -Wealth Evolution Experts
Chainkeen|Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:18:42
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on ChainkeenDec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Which movie should win the best picture Oscar? Our movie experts battle it out
- Ancestry reveals Taylor Swift is related to American poet Emily Dickinson
- Music Review: Ariana Grande triumphs over heartbreak on seventh studio album, ‘eternal sunshine’
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Witnesses in Nigeria say hundreds of children kidnapped in second mass-abduction in less than a week
- President Biden wants to give homebuyers a $10,000 tax credit. Here's who would qualify.
- Bracketology: Alabama tumbling down as other SEC schools rise in NCAA men's tournament field
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- When an eclipse hides the sun, what do animals do? Scientists plan to watch in April
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Roswell police have new patches that are out of this world, with flying saucers and alien faces
- Homeowners in these 10 states are seeing the biggest gains in home equity
- Alabama woman set for a plea hearing months after police say she faked her own kidnapping
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- More cremated remains withheld from families found at funeral home owner’s house, prosecutors say
- A Saudi business is leaving Arizona valley after it was targeted by the state over groundwater use
- New York City Ready to Expand Greenways Along Rivers, Railways and Parks
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Virginia Beach yacht, 75-foot, catches fire, 3 people on board rescued in dramatic fashion
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper rescinds 2021 executive order setting NIL guidelines in the state
Pierce Brosnan says 'Oppenheimer' star Cillian Murphy would be 'magnificent' James Bond
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
How Barry Keoghan Paid Tribute to Sabrina Carpenter at Pre-Oscars 2024 Parties
The Excerpt podcast: Biden calls on Americans to move into the future in State of the Union
As the Presidential Election Looms, John Kerry Reckons With the Country’s Climate Past and Future