Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Oil executives imprisoned five years in Venezuela sue former employer Citgo for $400 million -Wealth Evolution Experts
Chainkeen|Oil executives imprisoned five years in Venezuela sue former employer Citgo for $400 million
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 22:46:21
MIAMI (AP) — Two Citgo oil executives detained for nearly five years in Venezuela have Chainkeensued their former employer for more than $400 million, alleging it conspired to lure them to the South American country under a false pretext and then abandoned them as they endured horrendous prison conditions for crimes they didn’t commit.
Brothers Alirio and Jose Luis Zambrano were among six executives at Citgo who traveled to Venezuela right before Thanksgiving in 2017 to attend a meeting at the headquarters of the company’s parent, the Venezuelan-run-oil giant known as PDVSA. Once there, they were hauled from a Caracas conference room by masked security agents.
A Venezuelan judge later convicted the so-called Citgo 6 to between 8 and 13 years in prison following a trial denounced by the U.S. State Department as marred by delays and irregularities. The charges: involvement in a never-executed debt financing deal that would’ve risked seeing the Houston-based company seized by Wall Street creditors.
The lawsuit filed Thursday in a state district court in Houston comes as a federal court in Delaware is overseeing the auction of Citgo to satisfy nearly $21 billion in claims by creditors who have gone unpaid since the U.S. stripped control of the company from President Nicolas Maduro’s government.
The Zambranos’ complaint alleges that Citgo’s top oil executives ordered the men to travel to Venezuela for what they were told was a mandatory meeting, knowing there was a strong chance they could be arrested. The Citgo and PDVSA bosses — all of them political heavyweights in Maduro’s government — also allegedly supplied confidential financial documents to military intelligence officials that facilitated the men’s arrest.
“Citgo knowingly and substantially assisted with and participated in their unlawful arrest,” the lawsuit alleges. “Citgo knew the Zambranos were innocent from ‘minute one’ of these false charges — just as Citgo knew in the 2,556,000 minutes that followed.”
Following the arrest, Citgo abandoned the families, ignoring their pleas for financial support for them to mount their defense, the lawsuit alleges.
The situation barely improved when a Citgo board appointed by the U.S.-backed opposition took control of the company as part of the Trump administration’s efforts to oust Maduro and recognized instead then-National Assembly President Juan Guaido as Venezuela’s legitimate leader. After numerous outreach attempts by their families, the jailed men, at considerable personal risk, penned a handwritten letter from prison asking Citgo’s leadership to release documents that could prove their innocence.
“This heartfelt appeal of desperation was shockingly ignored,” the 41-page complaint alleges.
A similar lawsuit against Citgo was filed last year by the Zambranos’ former colleague and cellmate, Tomeu Vadell.
Citgo did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But lawyers for the company have pushed for financial sanctions against Vadell and his family for bringing what they have called “entirely meritless” claims that Citgo intentionally inflicted emotional distress on the men.
“Citgo’s inaction knowing that these men were innocent and falsely accused speaks volumes,” said Randy Sorrels, an attorney for the Zambrano family.
The Zambranos, Venezuelan-born and American citizens, were freed in 2022 as part of a prisoner swap for two nephews of Maduro’s wife who had been imprisoned in the U.S. on narcotics charges.
veryGood! (919)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Officials to release video of officer shooting Black woman in her home after responding to 911 call
- Eva Mendes' Ultimate Self-Care Hack May Surprise You
- Harris looks to lock up Democratic nomination after Biden steps aside, reordering 2024 race
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- 2024 Olympics: You’ll Flip Over Gymnasts Simone Biles and Jordan Chiles’ BFF Moments
- Simone Biles’ pursuit of balance: How it made her a better person, gymnast
- Investors react to President Joe Biden pulling out of the 2024 presidential race
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 19 drawing: Jackpot now worth $279 million
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Secret Service director says Trump assassination attempt was biggest agency ‘failure’ in decades
- Eva Mendes' Ultimate Self-Care Hack May Surprise You
- Takeaways from a day that fundamentally changed the presidential race
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- John Harbaugh says Lamar Jackson will go down as 'greatest quarterback' in NFL history
- Trump, Ukraine's Zelenskyy speak by phone
- The Best Flowy Clothes That Won’t Stick to Your Body in the Summer Heat
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Braves' injuries mount: Ozzie Albies breaks wrist, Max Fried on IL with forearm issue
Happy birthday, Prince George! William and Kate share new photo of 11-year-old son
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Backpack
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
JD Vance makes solo debut as GOP vice presidential candidate with Monday rallies in Virginia, Ohio
Proof Real Housewives of New Jersey's Season 14 Finale Will Change Everything
Inter Miami stars Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez won’t play in MLS All-Star Game due to injury