Current:Home > NewsHolocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools -Wealth Evolution Experts
Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:30:09
NEW YORK (AP) — A Holocaust museum in New York City will offer free educational field trips to eighth grade students in public schools in a program announced Thursday aimed at combating antisemitism.
The program will allow up to 85,000 students at traditional public schools and charter schools to tour Manhattan’s Museum of Jewish Heritage over the next three years, starting this fall. New York City is the largest school district in the nation, serving more than a million students. Organizers say the museum and the new program have the capacity to host up to one-third of the district’s eighth graders each year.
City Council member Julie Menin said she raised the idea with the museum after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, in an effort to combat rising antisemitism in the U.S. Incidents targeting Jewish and Muslim Americans have been recorded across the country since the Israel-Hamas war erupted, ranging from offensive graffiti to violence.
“We needed a proactive approach to combat this hatred at its roots,” Menin, a Democrat and daughter of a Holocaust survivor, said in a statement. “That’s why I approached the Museum of Jewish Heritage with the vision of a universal field trip program.”
The effort will cost around $2.5 million, with $1 million coming from the Gray Foundation, a nonprofit backed by Blackstone CEO Jon Gray that funds other programs for New York youths, as well as cancer research. Menin said the museum will look to other sources for the rest.
The museum already offers student discounts and free admission days. The new program will cover transportation, guides and take-home materials for the eighth graders, Menin said.
The tours will focus on the global history of antisemitism and propaganda that precipitated the Holocaust, as well as offering an experience for students to reflect on current events, Menin’s statement said.
Principals will play a key role in deciding which schools will participate in the program, Menin said in a phone call. Schools can sign up through the museum website.
New York City Public Schools spokesperson Nathaniel Styer said in a statement that “programming is a school-based decision, but the funding in this announcement will help remove barriers to participation.”
In testimony before U.S. Congress earlier this month, New York City Schools Chancellor David Banks said the city had already begun rolling out new measures to combat antisemitism in schools, including developing a new curriculum “highlighting the culture and contributions of the Jewish community.”
New York schools are required to teach about the Holocaust, with explicit curriculum covering the subject beginning in eighth grade.
veryGood! (574)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Hulu's 'Under the Bridge' will make you wonder where your children are
- Blake Griffin announces retirement: Six-time All-Star was of NBA's top dunkers, biggest names
- Black immigrant rally in NYC raises awareness about racial, religious and language inequities
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Federal judge denies request from a lonely El Chapo for phone calls, visits with daughters and wife
- We Found the Best Scores in Nordstrom Rack's Top 100 Deals: Up to 83% Off on Kate Spade, Allbirds & More
- A woman who accused Trevor Bauer of sex assault is now charged with defrauding ex-MLB player
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- How a Tiny Inland Shorebird Could Help Save the Great Salt Lake
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes lands on cover for Time 100 most influential people of 2024
- Naomi Watts poses with youngest child Kai Schreiber, 15, during rare family outing
- A vehicle backfiring startled a circus elephant into a Montana street. She still performed Tuesday
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- 'You’d never say that to a man': Hannah Waddingham shuts down photographer in viral video
- Golden State Warriors to miss NBA playoffs after play-in loss to Sacramento Kings
- Stephen Curry tells the AP why 2024 is the right time to make his Olympic debut
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
This new Google Maps feature is game changer for EV drivers
Maui Fire Department report on deadly wildfire details need for more equipment and mutual aid plans
Things to know as courts and legislatures act on transgender kids’ rights
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
'You’d never say that to a man': Hannah Waddingham shuts down photographer in viral video
Man charged in transport of Masters golf tournament memorabilia taken from Augusta National
Brock Purdy recalls story of saving a reporter while shooting a John Deere commercial