Current:Home > ContactMan sentenced to life plus 30 years in 2018 California spa bombing that killed his ex-girlfriend -Wealth Evolution Experts
Man sentenced to life plus 30 years in 2018 California spa bombing that killed his ex-girlfriend
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 19:41:41
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Southern California man was sentenced Friday to two concurrent life sentences, plus 30 years, for blowing up his ex-girlfriend’s spa business with a package bomb in 2018, killing her and seriously injuring two others.
Friday’s hearing concluded a case against Stephen Beal that was fraught with missteps for investigators and prosecutors since the May 15, 2018 bombing in an Aliso Viejo spa, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) south of Los Angeles.
“Mr. Beal will never be able to get out to harm innocent victims again,” said E. Martin Estrada, the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, at a news conference after the sentencing.
Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said Beal maintained his innocence during Friday’s hearing.
“I could not think of anything more insulting,” Barnes said during a news conference after the sentencing.
Ildiko Krajnyak, 48, was killed in the fiery blast when she opened a box with a homemade bomb inside that Beal had slipped into the spa while she was in Hungary visiting family. Two clients she had just treated — a mother and daughter — were knocked off their feet. The blast destroyed the business and tore a large hunk from the building. Body parts were found in the parking lot.
Beal, a partner in the business, was jealous Krajnyak had been dating someone else after their 18-month relationship ended, prosecutors said.
Beal was arrested shortly after the explosion on a single charge of possessing an unregistered destructive device but was never officially named as a suspect in the blast in the days that followed. The charge was dropped after prosecutors questioned whether material found at his Long Beach home constituted a “destructive device.” Beal claimed that explosive material found at his house was for his model rockets.
He was free for nearly 10 months before being re-arrested following a painstaking analysis of the evidence.
Beal’s first trial in 2022 ultimately ended in a mistrial after the federal jury deadlocked. He was retried in 2023 and the second jury convicted him of four felonies including the use of a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death.
Beal also was found guilty of malicious destruction of a building resulting in death, use of a destructive device during and in relation to a crime of violence, and possession of an unregistered destructive device.
Beal’s federal public defender, Craig Harbaugh, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
veryGood! (68)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Microscopic fibers link couple to 5-year-old son’s strangulation 34 years ago, sheriff says
- The war in Gaza has taken an economic toll on tech, Israel's most productive sector
- Search underway for 3 people missing after avalanche hits Idaho back country
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- This week on Sunday Morning (January 14)
- France’s youngest prime minister holds 1st Cabinet meeting with ambition to get ‘quick results’
- Ohio woman who suffered miscarriage at home won't be charged with corpse abuse
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- 50 years of history: Beverly Johnson opens up about being first Black model on Vogue cover
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Indonesia and Vietnam discuss South China sea and energy issues as Indonesian president visits
- DeSantis interrupted by three protesters at campaign stop days before Iowa caucuses
- Grizzlies' Marcus Smart to miss 6 weeks with a finger injury, creating more woes without Morant
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- František Janouch, a Czech nuclear physicist who supported dissidents from Sweden, dies at age 92
- Japan launches an intelligence-gathering satellite to watch for North Korean missiles
- Why more women are joining a lawsuit challenging Tennessee's abortion ban
Recommendation
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Maine man pleads guilty in New Year’s Eve machete attack near Times Square
Pakistan says the IMF executive board approved release of $700 million of $3B bailout
Longtime North Carolina appellate judge preparing to scale back work at the 4th US Circuit
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Larsa Pippen and Marcus Jordan's Sex Confession Proves Their Endurance
AP Week in Pictures: North America
Buc-ee's expansion continues as roadside retail juggernaut zeroes in on North Carolina