Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Maryland man charged with ISIS-inspired plot pleads guilty to planning separate airport attack -Wealth Evolution Experts
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Maryland man charged with ISIS-inspired plot pleads guilty to planning separate airport attack
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 03:20:43
SILVER SPRING,TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center Md. (AP) — A Maryland man charged in 2019 with planning an Islamic State-inspired attack at a Washington, D.C., area shopping and entertainment complex pleaded guilty on Monday to engaging in a separate plot to drive a stolen van into a crowd of people at a nearby airport.
Rondell Henry’s plea agreement with Justice Department prosecutors could lead to his release from federal custody as soon as October, when a judge is scheduled to sentence him in the airport plot, which Henry abandoned. Henry, who has remained in custody for over four years, didn’t harm anybody before police arrested him.
Henry, 32, of Germantown, Maryland, pleaded guilty to attempting to perform an act of violence at an international airport, court records show.
Henry admits that he stole a U-Haul van from a parking garage in Alexandria, Virginia, drove it to Dulles International Airport in Virginia and entered a terminal building on March 27, 2019.
“Henry unsuccessfully attempted to follow another individual into a restricted area of the airport, but the other individual prevented Henry from entering the restricted area,” according to a court filing accompanying his plea agreement.
Henry later told investigators that he went to the airport because he “was trying to hurt people there” and “was going to try to drive through a crowd of people,” but ultimately left because “there wasn’t a big enough crowd” at the airport, according to the filing.
Henry pleaded guilty to a felony that carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. But prosecutors and defense attorneys agreed that an appropriate sentence for Henry would be the jail time he already has served and lifetime supervised release with mandatory participation in a mental health treatment program, according to his plea agreement.
U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis, who isn’t bound by that recommendation, is scheduled to sentence Henry on Oct. 23. He will remain jailed until his sentencing hearing.
Henry’s attorneys didn’t immediately respond Monday to an email seeking comment on his guilty plea and plea deal.
Henry was charged in 2019 with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization, the Islamic State group. But the charge to which he pleaded guilty is unrelated to what authorities had said was a ISIS-inspired plot to carry out an attack at National Harbor, a popular waterfront destination in Maryland just outside the nation’s capital.
Monday’s filing doesn’t mention the Islamic State or specify any ideological motivation for an attack at the airport.
Henry left the airport and drove the stolen U-Haul to National Harbor, where he parked it. Police arrested him the next morning after they found the van and saw Henry jump over a security fence.
Henry told investigators he planned to carry out an attack like one in which a driver ran over and killed dozens of people in Nice, France, in 2016, authorities said. A prosecutor has said Henry intended to kill as many “disbelievers” as possible.
Monday’s court filings don’t explain why Henry didn’t plead guilty to any charges related to the alleged National Harbor plot.
The case against Henry remained on hold for years amid questions about his mental competency. Last year, Rondell Henry’s attorneys notified the court that he intended to pursue an insanity defense.
Xinis had ruled in February 2020 that Henry was not competent to stand trial. She repeatedly extended his court-ordered hospitalization.
But the judge ruled in May 2022 that Henry had become mentally competent to stand trial, could understand the charges against him and was capable of assisting in his defense. Xinis said a March 2022 report on Henry’s medical condition found experts had restored his mental competence.
Prosecutors have said Henry watched Islamic State group propaganda videos of foreign terrorists beheading civilians and fighting overseas. Investigators said they recovered a phone Henry had discarded on a highway in an apparent attempt to conceal evidence, including images of the Islamic State flag, armed Islamic State fighters and the man who carried out the 2016 Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando, Florida.
Henry is a naturalized U.S. citizen who moved to the country from Trinidad and Tobago more than a decade ago.
veryGood! (2594)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- You'll Be a Sucker for Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra's Date Night at 2023 Met Gala
- Today’s Climate: April 24-25, 2010
- Is Jury Duty's Ronald Gladden Single? He Says...
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Today’s Climate: April 20, 2010
- Pregnant Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Reveal Sex of Baby With Help From Son Shai
- Pedro Pascal Shows Us the Way to Wear Shorts on Red Carpet at Met Gala 2023
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- What — And Who — Is To Blame For Extreme Heat?
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Call Her Daddy's Alex Cooper Is Engaged to Matt Kaplan
- Vanessa Hudgens' Met Gala 2023 Look Is Proof She's Got Her Head in the Fashion Game
- Get Smudge-Proof Voluminous Lashes for 36 Hours With This 2 Benefit Mascaras for the Price of 1 Deal
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Jennifer Lopez Just Dropped Her Second Exclusive Shoe Collection With Revolve
- How Kaley Cuoco Is Honoring Daughter at First Red Carpet Since Giving Birth
- Lionel Richie Shares Insight Into Daughter Sofia Richie's Luxurious Wedding to Elliot Grainge
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Chris Appleton Thanks Fiancé Lukas Gage for Being His Rock During Sweet Awards Shout-Out
Angelina Jolie's Son Maddox Is All Grown-Up During Rare Public Appearance at White House State Dinner
The Crown's New Pics of Prince William, Kate Middleton Will Get You Royally Excited for Season 6
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
The Real Housewives of New York City Reboot Premiere Date Revealed
Bad Bunny Looks White Hot in Backless Suit at the Met Gala 2023
Blake Lively Reveals She's Skipping the Met Gala 2023 for This Relatable Activity