Current:Home > reviewsSword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded -Wealth Evolution Experts
Sword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 21:01:44
A 36-year-old man was charged with murder Wednesday in London after allegedly attacking members of the public and two police officers with a sword, London's Metropolitan Police said. A teenage boy died as a result of the attack, a senior London police officer said.
"It is with great sadness that I confirm that one of those injured in the incident, a 14-year-old boy, has died from their injuries. Taken to hospital after being stabbed and sadly died a short while after," the Met Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell told journalists.
The Crown Prosecution Service charged Marcus Arduini Monzo with one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and other charges. Monzo will appear in Barkingside Magistrates' Court on Thursday.
"Our thoughts remain firmly with the family of Daniel and all those who have been impacted by this horrific incident," Jaswant Narwal, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Crown Prosecution Service London North said Wednesday in a statement, adding that the case is still under investigation.
In a statement sent earlier to CBS News, the London police force said officers and other emergency services had responded to "a serious incident in which a man with a sword has been arrested" in the Hainault area of east London.
"We understand the suspect went on to attack other members of the public and two police officers. We are awaiting an update on the condition of those injured," the statement said. The later statement from the crown prosecution did not provide an update on the injuries.
Social media video verified by CBS News' partner network BBC News shows the suspect dressed in a yellow sweater, walking and appearing to hide behind bushes in a front yard while carrying a long bladed weapon.
Senior U.K. police official Ade Adelekan said the incident was not believed to be related to terrorism.
"We do not believe there is any ongoing threat to the wider community. We are not looking for more suspects," Adelekan said.
London's Ambulance Service confirmed in a social media post that five people had been treated at the scene and subsequently taken to a hospital.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he was in constant contact with the police and that he was "absolutely devastated" by the attack.
"The police officers and emergency services showed the best of our city — running towards danger to protect others and I thank them from the bottom of our heart," he said in message shared on social media.
Transport for London, which runs the city's heavily used Underground train system, said the station for Hainault was closed due to a police investigation.
- In:
- Stabbing
- London
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Can Sabrina Carpenter keep the summer hits coming? Watch new music video 'Taste'
- Logan Paul Addresses Accusation He Pushed Dog Off Boat in Resurfaced Video
- Search underway for Arizona woman swept away in Grand Canyon flash flood
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Dylan Crews being called up to MLB by Washington Nationals, per reports
- Head of Louisiana’s prison system resigns, ending 16-year tenure
- Bears' Douglas Coleman III released from hospital after being taken off field in ambulance
- Sam Taylor
- TikTok Organization Pro Emilie Kiser’s Top Tips & Must-Have Products for a Clean, Organized Life
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Meaning Behind Justin and Hailey Bieber's Baby Name Revealed
- Government announces more COVID-19 tests can be ordered through mail for no cost
- Georgia lawmakers say the top solution to jail problems is for officials to work together
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- New York temporarily barred from taking action against groups for promoting abortion pill ‘reversal’
- Judge blocks 24-hour waiting period for abortions in Ohio, citing 2023 reproductive rights amendment
- Mail thieves caught after woman baits them with package containing Apple AirTag: Sheriff
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Blake Lively Reveals She Baked “Amazing” Boob Cake for Son Olin’s First Birthday
Oklahoma revokes license of teacher who gave class QR code to Brooklyn library in book-ban protest
The EPA can’t use Civil Rights Act to fight environmental injustice in Louisiana, judge rules
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Michigan man sentenced to life in 2-year-old’s kidnapping death
Florida State vs Georgia Tech score today: Live updates, highlights from Week 0 game
Takeaways from Fed Chair Powell’s speech at Jackson Hole