Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Kentucky awards contract to replace unemployment insurance system that struggled during the pandemic -Wealth Evolution Experts
Rekubit Exchange:Kentucky awards contract to replace unemployment insurance system that struggled during the pandemic
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 06:37:49
FRANKFORT,Rekubit Exchange Ky. (AP) — Kentucky has awarded a long-awaited contract to replace its decades-old unemployment insurance system, which showed its shortcomings during the COVID-19 pandemic when a record surge of jobless claims resulted in processing backlogs, the state said Friday.
The state Education and Labor Cabinet reached an agreement with Deloitte Consulting this week to replace the antiquated technology for processing unemployment claims, Gov. Andy Beshear’s administration said.
The state’s six-year contract with Deloitte Consulting to develop the replacement system is for $55.5 million, cabinet spokeswoman Jill Midkiff said. The cost of the new system, including ongoing operations and maintenance expenses, will be supported by $85 million in funding approved by lawmakers, she said.
The project’s timeline will be determined in the next few months by the Office of Unemployment Insurance and Deloitte Consulting. But the state said it anticipates the new system to be fully implemented by 2028. State officials pointed to the complexities in developing the replacement system.
Once operational, the upgraded system will provide easier access for Kentuckians filing jobless claims as well as for staff members who use the system to assist people seeking employment, the state said.
“This new system will help us better meet the needs of Kentuckians by improving accessibility and claims processing times, as well as safeguarding against potential unemployment insurance fraud,” Beshear said in a news release Friday.
Efforts to find a contract partner to replace the aging technology for claims processing ran into delays. In 2021, concerns about cybersecurity caused the state to extend its search. A year later, another solicitation was canceled after the selected vendor failed to sign and return the contract.
The existing system was implemented almost 40 years ago, the state said.
Like other states, Kentucky was overwhelmed by record waves of claims for jobless assistance caused by the coronavirus as businesses were locked down to contain the virus’s spread. Tens of thousands of Kentuckians found themselves in limbo for months as they waited for their jobless claims to be processed. The delays became a nagging political problem for Beshear.
The Democratic governor accepted responsibility for the state’s response but noted that budget and staffing cuts hobbled the unemployment insurance system before he took office in late 2019, just months before the global pandemic hit.
Beshear won reelection last year as he campaigned on the state’s record pace of economic development growth during his tenure as governor. Republican lawmakers say the economic growth stems from policies enacted in recent years by the GOP-dominated legislature.
veryGood! (5124)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- A man is charged with causing a car crash that killed an on-duty Tucson police officer in March
- OSHA probe finds home care agency failed to protect nurse killed in Connecticut
- UnitedHealth data breach caused by lack of multifactor authentication, CEO says
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Nick Viall and Natalie Joy Cancel Honeymoon After “Nightmare” Turn of Events
- Medicaid expansion discussions could fall apart in Republican-led Mississippi
- Jerry Seinfeld at 70: Comic gives keys to 24-year marriage at Netflix Is A Joke Festival
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Senators want limits on the government’s use of facial recognition technology for airport screening
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Duane Eddy, 'the first rock 'n' roll guitar god', dies at 86
- House committee delays vote on bill to allow inmates to participate in parole hearings
- A list of mass killings in the United States this year
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Earthquakes measuring over 3.0 rattles Dallas-Fort Worth area Wednesday afternoon
- Violence erupts at UCLA as pro-Palestinian protesters, counter-protesters clash
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Juju
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Faceless people, invisible hands: New Army video aims to lure recruits for psychological operations
Rare white killer whale nicknamed Frosty spotted off California coast
Robert De Niro accused of berating pro-Palestinian protesters during filming for Netflix show
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Caitlin Clark, Maya Moore and a 10-second interaction that changed Clark's life
Loyola Marymount forward Jevon Porter, brother of Nuggets star, arrested on DWI charge
Earthquake reported in Corona, California area Wednesday afternoon measuring 4.1