Current:Home > InvestProsecutors file Boeing’s plea deal to resolve felony fraud charge tied to 737 Max crashes -Wealth Evolution Experts
Prosecutors file Boeing’s plea deal to resolve felony fraud charge tied to 737 Max crashes
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 02:37:13
The Justice Department submitted an agreement with Boeing on Wednesday in which the aerospace giant will plead guilty to a fraud charge for misleading U.S. regulators who approved the 737 Max jetliner before two of the planes crashed, killing 346 people.
The detailed plea agreement was filed in federal district court in Texas. The American company and the Justice Department reached a deal on the guilty plea and the agreement’s broad terms earlier this month.
The finalized version states Boeing admitted that through its employees, it made an agreement “by dishonest means” to defraud the Federal Aviation Administration group that evaluated the 737 Max. Because of Boeing’s deception, the FAA had “incomplete and inaccurate information” about the plane’s flight-control software and how much training pilots would need for it, the plea agreement says.
U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor can accept the agreement and the sentence worked out between Boeing and prosecutors, or he could reject it, which likely would lead to new negotiations between the company and the Justice Department.
The deal calls for the appointment of an independent compliance monitor, three years of probation and a $243.6 million fine. It also requires Boeing to invest at least $455 million “in its compliance, quality, and safety programs.”
Boeing issued a statement saying the company “will continue to work transparently with our regulators as we take significant actions across Boeing to further strengthen” those programs.
Boeing was accused of misleading the Federal Aviation Administration about aspects of the Max before the agency certified the plane for flight. Boeing did not tell airlines and pilots about the new software system, called MCAS, that could turn the plane’s nose down without input from pilots if a sensor detected that the plane might go into an aerodynamic stall.
Max planes crashed in 2018 in Indonesia and 2019 in Ethiopia after a faulty reading from the sensor pushed the nose down and pilots were unable to regain control. After the second crash, Max jets were grounded worldwide until the company redesigned MCAS to make it less powerful.
Boeing avoided prosecution in 2021 by reaching a $2.5 billion settlement with the Justice Department that included a previous $243.6 million fine. It appeared that the fraud charge would be permanently dismissed until January, when a panel covering an unused exit blew off a 737 Max during an Alaska Airlines flight. That led to new scrutiny of the company’s safety.
In May of this year, prosecutors said Boeing failed to live up to terms of the 2021 agreement by failing to make promised changes to detect and prevent violations of federal anti-fraud laws. Boeing agreed this month to plead guilty to the felony fraud charge instead of enduring a potentially lengthy public trial.
The role and authority of the monitor is viewed as a key provision of the new plea deal, according to experts in corporate governance and white-collar crime. Paul Cassell, a lawyer for the families, has said that families of the crash victims should have the right to propose a monitor for the judge to appoint.
In Wednesday’s filing, the Justice Department said that Boeing “took considerable steps” to improve its anti-fraud compliance program since 2021, but the changes “have not been fully implemented or tested to demonstrate that they would prevent and detect similar misconduct in the future.”
That’s where the independent monitor will come in, “to reduce the risk of misconduct,” the plea deal states.
Some of the passengers’ relatives plan to ask the judge to reject the plea deal. They want a full trial, a harsher penalty for Boeing, and many of them want current and former Boeing executives to be charged.
If the judge approves the deal, it would apply to the the criminal charge stemming from the 737 Max crashes. It would not resolve other matters, potentially including litigation related to the Alaska Airlines blowout.
O’Connor will give lawyers for the families seven days to file legal motions opposing the plea deal. Boeing and the Justice Department will have 14 days to respond, and the families will get five days to reply to the filings by the company and the government.
veryGood! (418)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Most of passengers from battered Singapore Airlines jetliner arrive in Singapore from Bangkok
- Belarus authorities unleash another wave of raids and property seizures targeting over 200 activists
- EU reprimands Kosovo’s move to close down Serb bank branches over the use of the dinar currency
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Judge dismisses felony convictions of 5 retired military officers in US Navy bribery case
- Report says there was ‘utter chaos’ during search for Maine gunman, including intoxicated deputies
- Landmark Paris trial of Syrian officials accused of torturing, killing a father and his son starts
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Japanese town blocks view of Mt. Fuji to deter hordes of tourists
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Protesters against war in Gaza interrupt Blinken repeatedly in the Senate
- Hunter Biden seeks delay in federal tax trial set to begin in Los Angeles next month
- Head of FEMA tours deadly storm damage in Houston area as more residents get power back
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Barry Bonds, former manager Jim Leyland part of Pittsburgh Pirates' 2024 Hall of Fame class
- Judge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges
- Landmark Paris trial of Syrian officials accused of torturing, killing a father and his son starts
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
'The Voice' finale: Reba McEntire scores victory with soulful powerhouse Asher HaVon
How to download directions on Google Maps, Apple Maps to navigate easily offline
Nestle to launch food products that cater to Wegovy and Ozempic users
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Barbie will make dolls to honor Venus Williams and other star athletes
Belarus authorities unleash another wave of raids and property seizures targeting over 200 activists
Thailand welcomes home trafficked 1,000-year-old statues returned by New York’s Metropolitan Museum