Current:Home > StocksA former UK nurse will be retried on a charge that she tried to murder a baby girl at a hospital -Wealth Evolution Experts
A former UK nurse will be retried on a charge that she tried to murder a baby girl at a hospital
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 02:08:30
LONDON (AP) — A former neonatal nurse who was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of seven babies in her care and trying to kill six others at a U.K. hospital will face a retrial on a charge of attempting to murder a newborn baby girl, prosecutors said Monday.
Lucy Letby, 33, was sentenced last month to life behind bars with no chance of release after a jury convicted her of murdering seven babies in the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital in northwest England between 2015 and 2016. She was also convicted of trying to murder six other infants.
However, the jury of seven women and four men in her 10-month trial was not able to reach verdicts on six counts of attempted murder in relation to five other newborns. Letby had faced two counts of attempted murder against one of the newborns.
The Crown Prosecution Service said Monday it wanted to pursue a retrial on one of those outstanding charges, which involved a baby girl known only as Child K in February 2016.
Letby attended Monday’s hearing by video from prison, and spoke only to confirm her name.
A provisional trial date was set for June 10, 2024.
Letby was handed the most severe punishment possible under British law, which does not allow the death penalty. A judge said she acted with “malevolence bordering sadism.” Only three other women have received such a harsh sentence in the U.K.
The former nurse was accused of deliberately harming the babies in various ways, including by injecting air into their bloodstreams and administering air or milk into their stomachs via nasogastric tubes. She was also accused of poisoning infants by adding insulin to intravenous feeds and interfering with breathing tubes.
The victims were given anonymity and listed only by letters.
Britain’s government launched an independent inquiry soon after the verdicts that will look into the wider circumstances around what happened at the hospital, including the handling of complaints raised by staff who had tried to sound the alarm on Letby.
Prosecutors confirmed they wished to pursue the single count involving Child K but not the other five counts of attempted murder. “These decisions on whether to seek retrials on the remaining counts of attempted murder were extremely complex and difficult,” Jonathan Storer, a senior prosecutor in northern England, said in a statement.
Lawyers representing the other families described the decision not to seek further retrials as disappointing.
“We believe that the families of the further alleged victims still have questions that are unanswered and they deserve to know what happened to their children,” said lawyer Tamlin Bolton from the law firm Switalskis.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Chance Perdomo, 'Gen V' and 'Sabrina' star, dies at 27: 'An incredibly talented performer'
- Majority of U.S. bridges lack impact protection. After the Key Bridge collapse, will anything change?
- Stephan Jaeger joins the 2024 Masters field with win in Houston Open
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Ohio authorities close case of woman found dismembered in 1964 in gravel pit and canal channel
- Everything's Bigger: See the Texas Rangers' World Series rings by Jason of Beverly Hills
- She bought a $100 tail and turned her wonder into a magical mermaid career
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Veteran CB Cameron Sutton turns himself in weeks after domestic violence allegation
Ranking
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- LSU's Kim Mulkey's controversial coaching style detailed in Washington Post story
- Gunmen in Ecuador kill 9, injure 10 others in attack in coastal city of Guayaquil as violence surges
- I'm a trans man. We don't have a secret agenda – we're just asking you to let us live.
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- South Carolina's biggest strength is its ability to steal opponents' souls
- Women’s March Madness highlights: South Carolina, NC State heading to Final Four
- King Charles attends Easter service, Princess Kate absent after their cancer diagnoses
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
First they tried protests of anti-gay bills. Then students put on a play at Louisiana’s Capitol
Whoopi Goldberg says she uses weight loss drug Mounjaro: 'I was 300 pounds'
Gambler hits three jackpots in three hours at Caesars Palace
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Iowa and LSU meet again, this time in Elite Eight. All eyes on Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese
LSU women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey subjected to harsh lens that no male coach is
UCLA coach regrets social media share; Iowa guard Sydney Affolter exhibits perfect timing