Current:Home > InvestTradeEdge Exchange:DirecTV files complaint against Disney with FCC as impasse enters 2nd week -Wealth Evolution Experts
TradeEdge Exchange:DirecTV files complaint against Disney with FCC as impasse enters 2nd week
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 19:27:21
The TradeEdge Exchangeimpasse between DirecTV and Disney over a new carriage agreement has become more heated as it entered its second week.
DirecTV filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission on Saturday night accusing Disney of negotiating in bad faith.
Disney channels, including ESPN and ABC-owned stations in nine markets, have been off DirecTV since the evening of Sept. 1. That meant DirecTV customers were blacked out from viewing most college football games and the final week of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, including the women’s and men’s finals.
DirecTV has 11.3 million subscribers, according to Leichtman Research Group, making it the nation’s third-largest pay TV provider.
ABC and ESPN will have the “Monday Night Football” opener between the New York Jets and San Francisco 49ers. ABC will also produce and carry a presidential debate between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump on Tuesday in Philadelphia.
ABC-owned stations in Los Angeles; the San Francisco Bay Area; Fresno, California; New York; Chicago; Philadelphia; Houston; and Raleigh, North Carolina, are off DirecTV.
Besides all ESPN network channels and ABC-owned stations, Disney-branded channels Freeform, FX and National Geographic channel are dark.
DirecTV says in its 10-page complaint that Disney is violating the FCC’s good faith mandates by asking it to waive any legal claims on any anticompetitive actions, including its ongoing packaging and minimum penetration demands.
DirecTV has asked Disney for the option to provide consumers with cheaper and skinnier bundles of programming, instead of bigger bundles that carry programming some viewers might not be interested in watching.
The complaint states: “Along with these anticompetitive demands, Disney has also insisted that DirecTV agree to a ‘clean slate’ provision and a covenant not to sue, both of which are intended to prevent DirecTV from taking legal action regarding Disney’s anticompetitive demands, which would include filing good faith complaints at the Commission. Not three months ago, however, the Media Bureau made clear that such a demand itself constitutes bad faith.”
DirecTV CEO Ray Carpenter said during a conference call with business and media analysts on Tuesday that they would not agree to a new carriage deal with Disney without bundling changes.
“We’re not playing a short-term game,” Carpenter said. “We need something that is going to work for the long-term sustainability of our video customers. The resolve is there.”
Disney has claimed since the blackout began that mutual release of claims is standard practice after licensing agreements are negotiated and agreed upon by the parties. It has also had one with DirecTV under its past renewals.
A Disney spokesperson said: “We continue to negotiate with DirecTV to restore access to our content as quickly as possible. We urge DirecTV to stop creating diversions and instead prioritize their customers by finalizing a deal that would allow their subscribers to watch our strong upcoming lineup of sports, news and entertainment programming, starting with the return of Monday Night Football.”
Last year, Disney and Charter Spectrum — the nation’s second-largest cable TV provider — were involved in a nearly 12-day impasse until coming to an agreement hours before the first Monday night NFL game of the season.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (16)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul: Promoter in talks to determine what is 'possible' for fight rules
- Bridgerton Season 3 Trailer’s Scandalous Romance is the Object of All Your Desires
- Delta is changing how it boards passengers starting May 1
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Man gets 7½ years for 2022 firebombing of Wisconsin anti-abortion office
- DJ Mister Cee, longtime radio staple who worked with Biggie and Big Daddy Kane, dies at 57
- Consumers would be notified of AI-generated content under Pennsylvania bill
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Lunchables shouldn’t be on school menus due to lead, sodium, Consumer Reports tells USDA
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- 'It was really special': Orangutan learns to breastfeed by observing human mom in Virginia
- Report: Arizona Coyotes' 2024-25 NHL schedule has Salt Lake City relocation version
- House blocks bill to renew FISA spy program after conservative revolt
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Kirsten Dunst says 5-year-old son helped her run lines for 'Civil War': 'No dark dialogue!'
- Iowa puts $1 million toward summer meal sites, still faces criticism for rejecting federal funds
- Giannis Antetokounmpo has soleus strain in left calf; ruled out for regular season
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Megan Thee Stallion's Fitness Advice Will Totally Change When You Work Out
Rescuers search off Northern California coast for young gray whale entangled in gill net
Why is the EPA regulating PFAS and what are these “forever chemicals”?
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Masters Par 3 Contest coverage: Leaderboard, highlights from Rickie Fowler’s win
Which states could have abortion on the ballot in 2024?
Christina Hall Shares She's Had Disturbing Infection for Years