Current:Home > InvestSailboats packed with migrants seek Italy on lesser-known migration route -Wealth Evolution Experts
Sailboats packed with migrants seek Italy on lesser-known migration route
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:39:34
ROCCELLA JONICA, Italy (AP) — When the Taliban took Kabul in August, Zakia was six months pregnant and in her first year of university while her husband, Hamid, was working as an auditor. They decided to flee, and along with five relatives, began a two-month odyssey that took them through Iran and Turkey.
When it was time to cross the Mediterranean, they did so on an expensive sailboat that came ashore this month on a beach in the southern Italian region of Calabria.
They were dehydrated, but relieved to have survived a lesser-known migration route to Europe that is increasingly being used by wealthier Afghans, Iraqis, Iranians and Kurds. Entire families are paying top price for passage from Turkey aboard new or nearly new sailboats that can more easily avoid detection by authorities. Investigators say they are captained by smugglers, often Ukrainians, who may be in cahoots with Turkish mobsters and Italian 'ndrangheta clans on shore.
While aid workers call these "1st class" crossings, there is nothing elite about them. Hamid and Zakia were packed with 100 people below deck for a week as food supplies dwindled. After two days without fresh water, Zakia couldn't feel the baby moving inside her anymore.
"It was the worst experience of my life," Hamid said in an Italian gym as he and his wife waited to be processed for COVID-19 quarantine locations after their sailboat, "Passion Dalaware," came ashore Nov. 10.
For years, most political, humanitarian and media attention has focused on the hundreds of thousands of migrants, most of them Africans, who cross the central Mediterranean aboard unseaworthy vessels launched by smugglers from Libya and Tunisia.
The Calabrian route, which brings the migrants from Turkey to the "toe" of boot-shaped Italy rather than Sicily and its islands further south, has seen a nearly four-fold increase in arrivals in 2021 and now accounts for 16% of the sea arrivals in Italy this year.
The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees is monitoring the situation closely, though the increase in Calabrian arrivals is mirrored by a similarly sharp increase in migrants arriving in Sicilian ports. Overall, sea arrivals in Italy this year are up to 59,000 compared with 32,000 at this point last year. The Calabrian route has seen 9,687 arrivals as of Nov. 14, compared with 2,507 last year.
"We are seeing Afghans. We are seeing Iraqis. We are seeing Iranians, Kurds," said Chiara Cardoletti, the UNHCR representative in Italy. Whereas single men used to account for most migrants, "right now on all the routes what you are seeing is an increase in the number of families arriving with lots of children. And that is true also for the route to Calabria."
The Calabrian route is just one of the myriad ways that would-be refugees from the Middle East, Southeast Asia and Africa try to reach Europe, a steady crisis that has fueled anti-immigrant sentiment on the continent and strained European Union solidarity.
Hamid and Zakia had a fraught odyssey that cost far more than most: After escaping Kabul with Hamid's sister, her husband and their three children, the family arrived in Turkey and paid 8,500 euros ($9,600) for each adult and 4,000 euros ($4,500) for each child to get to Calabria. Hamid's parents in Sweden helped finance the trip.
Hamid's 29-year-old sister, Tooba, who speaks good English, said the family decided to risk their lives on the journey because life in Afghanistan under Taliban rule was no longer safe, especially given her work as a lawyer.
"I cannot live in Kabul, and because of them I must leave Afghanistan," Tooba said, as she cradled a sleeping child.
Like Hamid and Zakia, she asked that her last name not be used for safety reasons.
Hamid said the smugglers provided enough water for the first four or five days, but that after it ran out, the passengers drank seawater with sugar for the final two days.
When the sailboat approached shore, the passengers came up on deck only to see the two smugglers who had captained the ship, both wearing ski masks, fleeing the scene in a black boat.
"The traffickers, who obviously have no concept of human scruples, are now even squashing 100 people in each sailboat," said Vittorio Zito, the mayor of Roccella Jonica, a small town on the Calabrian coast that has been a prime destination for smugglers.
The sailboats are difficult to intercept since even to aerial patrols, they look like normal pleasure boats. The "Passion Dalaware" was even flying a plastic American flag from its sail.
Zito said smugglers can make about 500,000 euros ($565,000) per trip on a stolen sailboat that costs around 100,000 euros ($113,000). Red Cross officials counted 101 people on Hamid's boat, whose smugglers stood to pocket 858,500 euros ($969,000).
There have been so many of these deserted sailboats recently that their carcasses line the Calabrian coast. Others are piled up in a boat cemetery near the port in Roccella Jonica.
The route is also being used by smugglers bringing fishing boats from Libya. On Nov. 14, 550 migrants arrived in Roccella Jonica, the highest number in one day. The migrants, including at least 100 Egyptian minors, were rescued from two fishing boats off the coast that had departed from Tobruk, a town in Libya near the Egyptian border.
Italian police have arrested several Ukrainian smugglers who have been sentenced for aiding and abetting illegal migration, but they are just small cogs in the wheel of a larger criminal operation.
"We have to go beyond the individual boats and arrests of smugglers to understand the reason behind the exponential increase," said Giovanni Bombardieri, chief prosecutor in the Calabrian capital of Reggio Calabria, who is leading the migration investigation.
"It is clear that our work requires an evaluation of the possible involvement of clans of the 'ndrangheta," the Calabrian-based organized crime syndicate, he told the AP.
Hamid and Zakia's odyssey isn't over. The extended family has been put in different locations in Calabria to complete two weeks of virus quarantine. After that they can begin the process of requesting asylum or can try to reach relatives in Sweden.
There is also some good news.
"I am very happy," said Zakia. "The Italian doctors checked and my baby is OK."
veryGood! (672)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Inundation and Injustice: Flooding Presents a Formidable Threat to the Great Lakes Region
- Book excerpt: Somebody's Fool by Richard Russo
- Brian Austin Green Sends Message to Critics of His Newly Shaved Head
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Why the Surprisingly Affordable SolaWave Skincare Wand Will Be Your Skin’s BFF
- Kim Kardashian Shares She Broke Her Shoulder
- Busta Rhymes says asthma scare after 'intimate' act with an ex pushed him to lose 100 pounds
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- With strike talk prevalent as UAW negotiates, labor expert weighs in
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Spin the wheel on these Pat Sajak facts: Famed host's age, height, career, more
- Security guard on trial for 2018 on-duty fatal shot in reaction to gun fight by Nashville restaurant
- Death toll rises to 7 after Russian missiles slam into Ukrainian city’s downtown area
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- What to know about beech leaf disease, the 'heartbreaking' threat to forests along the East Coast
- Unlimited vacation can save companies billions. But is it a bad deal for workers?
- Ciara Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby With Husband Russell Wilson
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Arkansas governor names Hudson as Finance and Administration secretary
Two rivals claim to be in charge in Niger. One is detained and has been publicly silent for days
Australian police charge 19 men with child sex abuse after FBI tips about dark web sharing
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Crossings along U.S.-Mexico border jump as migrants defy extreme heat and asylum restrictions
Kim Kardashian Shares She Broke Her Shoulder
Stormy weather across northern Europe kills at least 1 person, idles ferries and delays flights