Current:Home > ContactLouisiana, 9 other states ask federal judge to block changes in National Flood Insurance Program -Wealth Evolution Experts
Louisiana, 9 other states ask federal judge to block changes in National Flood Insurance Program
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 00:12:12
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Increases in federal flood insurance premiums that are projected to surpass 700% over the coming years are already leading people to back out of home purchases and will likely lead to an exodus of residents and businesses from southern Louisiana, officials told a federal judge Thursday in New Orleans.
The testimony came in a hearing in a lawsuit Louisiana and nine other states filed against the federal government to block sharp increases in national flood insurance rates. A phase-in of the new rates began in 2021. Annual increases are limited to 18%. The Federal Emergency Management Agency said the new method of computing rates has resulted in reductions or little or no increase for most policy holders.
But FEMA figures also show huge impending increases in some Louisiana ZIP codes. State and local officials who testified Thursday said the increases are expected to result in some people in working-class southern Louisiana to abandon their mortgages, try to sell homes that have been in families for generations, or drop their insurance.
“We’ve already seen a slowdown in new building,” said Matt Jewell, president of St. Charles Parish, west of New Orleans.
The implications go beyond blows to the real estate market and tax revenue. Officials said lower revenue could also hamper flood prevention and mitigation efforts. And some federal disaster programs require people in certain areas to have flood insurance — which the officials argued is becoming unaffordable.
State attorneys said during arguments before U.S. District Judge Darrel Papillion that participation in the National Flood Insurance Program requires that local governments adopt building-elevation policies and flood-control efforts that often require taxes — approved by voters believing the mitigation efforts will hold rates down.
“They turned us into liars,” state Solicitor General Liz Murrill told Papillion.
Papillion was hearing arguments on the federal government’s motion to dismiss the suit and on the states’ motion for an injunction blocking the rate increases pending further court proceedings. It was unclear if he would rule Thursday.
Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia are the other states listed as plaintiffs, along with some local governments and flood control bodies in Louisiana.
FEMA has said its new premium system is an improvement over past methods, incorporating data that wasn’t used in the past, including scientific models and costs involved in rebuilding a home. The agency has said the old method could result in people with lower-valued homes paying more than a fair share, while those with higher-value homes pay relatively less.
A return to the old system of calculating premiums would not guarantee a reduction of rates, Justice Department attorney Yoseph Desta argued.
He and other government attorneys argued Thursday that the new rate plan had been in the works for years, that the states had plenty of opportunity for input, and that the lawsuit, filed months after the phase-in began, was filed too late. They also argued the states have no standing to sue over the rates set by the National Flood Insurance Program.
veryGood! (4216)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Boeing Starliner reaches International Space Station: Here's what the astronauts will do
- Man takes murder plea deal in first Colorado case impacted by work of embattled DNA analyst
- North Carolina driver’s license backlog may soon end, DMV commissioner says
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Holocaust survivor finds healing through needle and thread
- Massachusetts House approves sweeping housing bill
- A new Nebraska law makes court diversion program available to veterans. Other states could follow
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- There are thousands of tons of plastic floating in the oceans. One group trying to collect it just got a boost.
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Diana Ross, Eminem perform in Detroit for historic Michigan Central Station reopening
- Horoscopes Today, June 6, 2024
- Engaged Sun teammates Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner find work-life balance in the WNBA
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlan Uses This $5 Beauty Treatment for De-Puffing
- Stranger Things' Joe Keery Breaks Silence on Big Breakup From Maika Monroe
- Car ownership is getting more costly even as vehicle prices dip. Here's why.
Recommendation
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Alec and Hilaria Baldwin announce new reality show about life with 7 young children
Get Starbucks delivered: Coffee giant announces new partnership with GrubHub
Diana Ross, Eminem perform in Detroit for historic Michigan Central Station reopening
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Possibility of ranked-choice voting in Colorado faces a hurdle with new law
A new Nebraska law makes court diversion program available to veterans. Other states could follow
US achieves huge cricket upset in T20 World Cup defeat of Pakistan