Current:Home > StocksBuca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations -Wealth Evolution Experts
Buca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:33:28
On the heels of closing scores of locations in recent weeks, Buca Di Beppo has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, court documents filed Monday show.
The company blamed its financial woes on things including rising costs and hiring difficulty, according to information from the restaurant and court papers filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
In its 21-page petition obtained by USA TODAY, the Orlando-based casual restaurant chain named 30 creditors it owes close to $50 million.
The chain of Italian-American restaurants has been slowly shuttering its doors since COVID hit in 2020 and last month closed nearly 20% of its locations, according to Restaurant Business Magazine.
On July 30, the magazine reported Buca's parent company Earl Enterprises said several of its locations "had been unable to recover from the pandemic and other market pressures."
Learn more: Best debt consolidation loans
In a statement released by the eatery Monday, leaders wrote Buca is restructuring 44 core locations and is in the process of opening one new location.
"The company is committed to ensuring that the restaurants operate as usual, and all gift cards, reservations, and promotional services currently remain active and redeemable," the statement reads.
"While the restaurant industry has faced significant challenges, this move is the best next step for our brand," said the company's President Rich Saultz. "By restructuring with the continued support of our lenders, we are paving the way toward a reinvigorated future. Buca di Beppo has been a beloved gathering place for celebrations and memorable meals for many years, and we are enthusiastic about entering this next phase of our brand's story."
What Buca di Beppo stores closed most recently?
Known for their family-style serving portions of Italian food, the company most recently shuttered other locations in Arizona, California, Pennsylvania, Utah and Michigan.
Founded in 1993 in a Minneapolis apartment basement, Planet Hollywood International purchased the casual chain in 2008.
How many Buca di Beppos remain open?
According to the company, 44 locations in 14 states will remain open.
The Buca di Beppo website appears to list active restaurants on it's location finder.
"We believe this path will best allow us to continue to serve Buca's patrons and communities for many years to come," William Snyder, Chief Restructuring Officer of Buca C, LLC, released in a statement Monday after signing the bankruptcy petition.
"We are open for business in 44 locations, and we expect day-to-day operations to continue uninterrupted.," Snyder said. "We anticipate moving through this process as quickly and efficiently as possible to emerge as a stronger organization built for the future."
The petition named the company's attorney, Amber Carson who could not immediately be reached.
USA TODAY has reached out to Buca for more information.
Contributing: Maria Frances and Bahar Anooshahr
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Erik Menendez’s Wife Tammi Menendez Shares Plea for His Release After Resentencing Decision
- Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult
- Republican incumbent Josh Hawley faces Democrat Lucas Kunce for US Senate seat in Missouri
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- What It's Really Like Growing Up As First Kid in the White House
- A History of Presidential Pets Who Lived in the Lap of Luxury at the White House
- Colin Allred, Ted Cruz reach end of Senate race that again tests GOP dominance in Texas
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Democrats hope to keep winning streak alive in Washington governor’s race
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Nebraska adds former coach Dana Holgorsen as offensive analyst, per report
- These farm country voters wish presidential candidates paid them more attention
- Rudy Giuliani ordered to appear in court after missing deadline to turn over assets
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Barry Keoghan Slams Accusations He's a Deadbeat Dad to 2-Year-Old Son Brando
- Landmark Washington climate law faces possible repeal by voters
- NFL trade deadline grades: Breaking down which team won each notable deal
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
The top US House races in Oregon garnering national attention
Jason Kelce apologizes for role in incident involving heckler's homophobic slur
GOP Gov. Jim Justice battles Democrat Glenn Elliott for US Senate seat from West Virginia
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
North Carolina’s top lawyer and No. 2 executive are vying for governor
Four likely tornadoes in Oklahoma and Arkansas with no deaths or injuries reported
Democrats hope to keep winning streak alive in Washington governor’s race