Current:Home > FinanceNevada attorney general appeals to state high court in effort to revive fake electors case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Nevada attorney general appeals to state high court in effort to revive fake electors case
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 19:35:50
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The top prosecutor in Nevada is asking the state Supreme Court to uphold the indictments of six Republicans charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congress that declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep the former president in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgia and Arizona.
Meanwhile, the fate of Nevada’s so-called fake electors case hangs in the balance.
Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus issued a written order Friday night affirming her ruling from the bench last month that Las Vegas was the wrong venue for the case and therefore the charges must be dismissed.
A spokesperson for Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford, a Democrat, confirmed Saturday in a statement that the office formally filed its appeal shortly after the judge issued her written order.
“We remain confident in our case and look forward to bringing these individuals to justice and holding them accountable for their actions,” the statement says.
The defendants are state GOP chairman Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chairman Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
They were indicted by a grand jury in Las Vegas last December, just before a three-year statute of limitations expired. Each was charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument — felonies carrying a penalty of up to four or five years in prison.
Monti Levy, one of the defense lawyers, said Saturday they “are confident that Judge Holthus made the correct decision and that her order granting the motion to dismiss will be upheld.”
The defense attorneys had argued that Ford improperly brought the case against their clients before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
Ford’s office, meanwhile, argued that “no one county contains the entirety of these crimes.”
It wasn’t clear Saturday from court records whether oral arguments had been scheduled before the Nevada Supreme Court. The court’s clerk also did not respond to an emailed message seeking more information.
Trump lost to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Rare juvenile T. rex fossil found by children in North Dakota to go on display in Denver museum
- Missing 21-year-old woman possibly with man and his missing 2-year-old daughter
- Edmonton Oilers vs. Florida Panthers is a Stanley Cup Final of teams far apart in every way
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Where things stand on an Israel-Hamas cease-fire deal as Hamas responds to latest proposal
- Northern lights forecast: Why skywatchers should stay on alert for another week
- This week on Sunday Morning (June 9)
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Bye, Orange Dreamsicle. Hello, Triple Berry. Wendy's seasonal Frosty flavor drops next week
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- National Doughnut (or Donut) Day: Which spelling is right? Dictionaries have an answer.
- NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week
- Ariana Grande drops star-studded 'The Boy is Mine' video with Penn Badgley, Brandy and Monica
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Kesha Leaves Little to the Imagination With Free the Nipple Moment
- State rejects health insurers’ pleas to halt plan that will shake up coverage for 1.8 million Texans
- Kristaps Porzingis' instant impact off bench in NBA Finals Game 1 exactly what Celtics needed
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Tiger shark vomits entire spikey land creature in rare sighting: 'All its spine and legs'
As Another Hot Summer Approaches, 80 New York City Neighborhoods Ranked Highly Vulnerable to Heat
A man in Mexico died with one form of bird flu, but US officials remain focused on another
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Northern lights forecast: Why skywatchers should stay on alert for another week
YouTube implementing tougher policy on gun videos to protect youth
The 42 Best Amazon Deals Right Now: $8 Adidas Shorts, $4.50 Revlon Foundation & More Discounts