Current:Home > MyLawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant -Wealth Evolution Experts
Lawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 16:01:50
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An environmental group has sued the U.S. Energy Department over its decision to award over $1 billion to help keep California’s last nuclear power plant running beyond a planned closure that was set for 2025. The move opens another battlefront in the fight over the future of Diablo Canyon’s twin reactors.
Friends of the Earth, in a complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, argued that the award to plant operator Pacific Gas & Electric last year was based on an outdated, flawed analysis that failed to recognize the risk of earthquakes or other serious events.
The complaint called the safety assessment “grossly deficient” and accuses the Energy Department of relying on a 50-year-old environmental analysis.
“The environmental impacts from extending the lifespan of this aging power plant at this point in time have not been adequately addressed or disclosed to the public,” the complaint said.
An email seeking comment was sent to the Energy Department.
Diablo Canyon lies on a bluff overlooking the Pacific midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It began operating in the mid-1980s and supplies up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
In 2016, PG&E, environmental groups and unions representing plant workers agreed to close the facility by 2025. But the Legislature voided the deal in 2022 after Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom reversed his position and said the power is needed to ward off blackouts as the state transitions to renewables and climate change stresses California’s energy system.
Since then, disputes have swirled about the safety of Diablo Canyon’s decades-old reactors, whether taxpayers might be saddled with hundreds of millions of dollars in additional costs and even if the electricity is needed in the age of solar and other green energy.
PG&E has long said the twin-domed plant is safe, an assessment endorsed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The Biden administration approved $1.1 billion in Energy Department funding in January. The financing came through the administration’s civil nuclear credit program, which is intended to bail out financially distressed owners or operators of nuclear power reactors as part of the administration’s effort to cut planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 compared with 2005 levels.
PG&E has said it wants to keep the plant open to “ensure statewide electrical reliability and combat climate change” at the direction of the state.
The utility is seeking a 20-year extension of its federal licenses, typical in the industry, but emphasized the state would control how long the plant actually runs. A state judge has conditionally approved a blueprint to keep it operating for an additional five years, until 2030.
California is the birthplace of the modern environmental movement and for decades has had a fraught relationship with nuclear power. The fight over Diablo Canyon is playing out as the long-struggling nuclear industry sees a potential rebirth in the era of global warming. Nuclear power doesn’t produce carbon pollution like fossil fuels, but it leaves behind waste that can remain dangerously radioactive for centuries.
veryGood! (98)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Paris Olympics: Simone Biles, Team USA gymnastics draw record numbers for NBC
- 26 people taken to hospital after ammonia leak at commercial building in Northern Virginia
- Venu Sports may be available for $42.99 per month with its planned launch targeted for fall
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 2024 Olympics: How Brazilian Gymnast Flavia Saraiva Bounced Back After Eye Injury
- A massive prisoner swap involving the United States and Russia is underway, an AP source says
- Connecticut man bitten by rare rattlesnake he tried to help ends up in coma
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Massachusetts governor says Steward Health Care must give 120-day notice before closing hospitals
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 2024 Olympics: How Brazilian Gymnast Flavia Saraiva Bounced Back After Eye Injury
- Powerball winning numbers for July 31 drawing: Jackpot at $171 million
- Video shows dramatic rescue of crying Kansas toddler from bottom of narrow, 10-foot hole
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Fiery North Dakota derailment was latest crash to involve weak tank cars the NTSB wants replaced
- Teen Mom’s Maci Bookout Supports Ex Ryan Edwards’ Girlfriend Amid Sobriety Journey
- West Virginia Republican Gov. Jim Justice in fight to keep historic hotel amid U.S. Senate campaign
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Patrick Dempsey Comments on Wife Jillian's Sexiness on 25th Anniversary
Olympian Katie Ledecky Has Become a Swimming Legend—But Don’t Tell Her That
Browns RB D'Onta Foreman sent to hospital by helicopter after training camp hit
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Why Cameron Mathison Asked for a New DWTS Partner Over Edyta Sliwinska
No. 1 Iga Swiatek falls to Qinwen Zheng at the Olympics. Queen has shot at gold
Cardi B files for divorce from Offset, posts she’s pregnant with their third child on Instagram