Current:Home > NewsGangs in Haiti launch fresh attacks, days after a new prime minister is announced -Wealth Evolution Experts
Gangs in Haiti launch fresh attacks, days after a new prime minister is announced
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:48:24
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Gangs in Haiti laid siege to several neighborhoods in Port-au-Prince, burning homes and exchanging gunfire with police for hours as hundreds fled the violence early Thursday in one of the biggest attacks since Haiti’s new prime minister was announced.
The attacks began late Wednesday in neighborhoods including Solino and Delmas 18, 20 and 24 located southwest of the main international airport, which has remained closed for nearly two months amid relentless gang violence.
“The gangs started burning everything in sight,” said a man called Néne, who declined to give his last name out of fear. “I was hiding in a corner all night.”
He walked with a friend as they carried a dusty red suitcase between them that was stuffed with clothes — the only thing they could save. The clothes belonged to Néne’s children, whom he had rushed out of Delmas 18 around dawn during a pause in the fighting.
The neighborhoods that once bustled with traffic and pedestrians were like ghost towns shortly after sunrise, with a heavy silence blanketing the area except for the occasional bleating from a lone goat.
An armored police truck patrolled the streets, rolling past charred vehicles and cinderblock walls where someone had scrawled “Viv Babecue,” a reference in Haitian Creole to one of Haiti’s most powerful gang leaders.
People whose homes were spared in the attack in Delmas 18 and other nearby communities clutched fans, stoves, mattresses and plastic bags filled with clothes as they fled by foot, motorcycle or on colorful small buses known as tap-taps. Others were walking empty-handed, having lost everything.
“There were gunshots left and right,” said Paul Pierre, 47, who was walking with his partner in search of shelter after their house was burned down. They couldn’t save any of their belongings.
He said the overnight fighting separated children from their parents and husbands from their wives as people fled in terror: “Everyone is just trying to save themselves.”
Martineda, a woman who declined to give her last name out of fear, said she was left homeless after armed gunmen torched her home. She fled with her 4-year-old, whom she said tried to run away when the gunfire erupted late Wednesday.
“I told him, ‘Don’t be scared. This is life in Haiti,’” she said as she balanced a heavy load of goods on her head including butter that she hoped to sell to make some money and find a new home.
When asked to recount what happened overnight, she said: “Gunfire, gunfire, gunfire everywhere! No one slept. Everyone was running.”
The attack occurred in an area controlled by Jimmy Chérizier, a former elite police officer known as Barbecue who is leader of a powerful gang federation known as G9 Family and Allies.
He and other gang leaders have been blamed for coordinated attacks that began on Feb. 29 across the capital, Port-au-Prince. Gunmen have burned police stations, opened fire on the main international airport and stormed Haiti’s two biggest prisons, releasing more than 4,000 inmates.
The attacks eventually forced Prime Minister Ariel Henry to resign and led to the creation of a transitional presidential council whose majority unexpectedly announced a new prime minister on Tuesday: Fritz Bélizaire, a former sports minister. The move is threatening to fracture the nine-member council, which was sworn in last week.
As new leaders take charge of the country amid squabbling, Haitians are demanding that they prioritize their safety as gangs remain more powerful and better armed than Haiti’s National Police.
More than 2,500 people have been killed or injured from January to March of this year, a more than 50% increase compared with the same period last year, according to the U.N.
Meanwhile, more than 90,000 people have fled Port-au-Prince in just one month as gangs that control an estimated 80% of the capital have increasingly been targeting previously peaceful neighborhoods.
Ernest Aubrey recalled how he moved to Delmas 18 a decade ago. Now, he’s leaving home for the first time.
“It’s too much. We can’t resist anymore,” he said of the gangs. “They are taking everything we own.”
As he walked with a heavy bag, he spotted an acquaintance leaving in a car and ran toward them to see if he could get a ride.
One of the few people who opted to stay in Delmas 18 was Vanessa Vieux. While she sent her elderly mother to the countryside early Wednesday after the attack, she decided it was best if she didn’t relinquish her home to gangs. Plus, she has faith in Haiti’s National Police.
“I live next to a police officer,” she said. “That’s why I’m not scared.”
___
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (518)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Addiction drug maker will pay more than $102 million fine for stifling competition
- One man left Kansas for a lifesaving liver transplant — but the problems run deeper
- New Jersey to Rejoin East Coast Carbon Market, Virginia May Be Next
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- West Virginia governor defends Do it for Babydog vaccine lottery after federal subpoena
- Teens say social media is stressing them out. Here's how to help them
- Kim Kardashian Reacts to Kanye West Accusing Her of Cheating With Drake
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Why our allergies are getting worse —and what to do about it
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Ariana Madix Claims Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss Had Sex in Her Guest Room While She Was Asleep
- Elliot Page Grateful to Be Here and Alive After Transition Journey
- Teen volleyball player who lost her legs in violent car crash sues city of St. Louis and 2 drivers involved
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Seniors got COVID tests they didn't order in Medicare scam. Could more fraud follow?
- Parkinson's Threatened To Tear Michael J. Fox Down, But He Keeps On Getting Up
- Long COVID scientists try to unravel blood clot mystery
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
FDA changes rules for donating blood. Some say they're still discriminatory
Solar Breakthrough Could Be on the Way for Renters
The Moment Serena Williams Shared Her Pregnancy News With Daughter Olympia Is a Grand Slam
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Your First Look at E!'s Black Pop: Celebrating the Power of Black Culture
Robert Ballard found the Titanic wreckage in 1985. Here's how he discovered it and what has happened to its artifacts since.
Say Cheers to National Drink Wine Day With These Wine Glasses, Champagne Flutes & Accessories