Current:Home > reviewsSean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight -Wealth Evolution Experts
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 01:12:41
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal appeals court judge has ruled to keep Sean “Diddy” Combs locked up while he makes a third bid for bail in his sex trafficking case, which is slated to go to trial in May.
In a decision filed Friday, Circuit Judge William J. Nardini denied the hip-hop mogul’s immediate release from jail while a three-judge panel weighs his bail request.
Combs’ lawyers appealed to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Sept. 30 after two judges rejected his release.
Combs, 54, has been held at a federal jail in Brooklyn since his Sept. 16 arrest on charges that he used his “power and prestige” as a music star to induce female victims into drugged-up, elaborately produced sexual performances with male sex workers in events dubbed “Freak Offs.”
Combs has pleaded not guilty to racketeering conspiracy and sex trafficking charges alleging he coerced and abused women for years with help from a network of associates and employees while silencing victims through blackmail and violence, including kidnapping, arson and physical beatings.
At a bail hearing three weeks ago, a judge rejected the defense’s $50 million bail proposal that would’ve allowed the “I’ll Be Missing You” singer to be placed under house arrest at his Florida mansion with GPS monitoring and strict limits on visitors.
Judge Andrew L. Carter Jr., who has since recused himself from the case, said that prosecutors had presented “clear and convincing evidence” that Combs is a danger to the community. He said “no condition or set of conditions” could guard against the risk of Combs obstructing the investigation or threatening or harming witnesses.
In their appeal, Combs’ lawyers argued that the judge had “endorsed the government’s exaggerated rhetoric” and ordered Combs detained for “purely speculative reasons.”
“Indeed, hardly a risk of flight, he is a 54-year-old father of seven, a U.S. citizen, an extraordinarily successful artist, businessman, and philanthropist, and one of the most recognizable people on earth,” the lawyers wrote.
Combs’ lawyers have not asked the new trial judge, Arun Subramanian, to consider releasing him on bail. At a hearing Thursday, as Combs sat alongside his lawyers in a beige jail jumpsuit, Subramanian suggested he would at least be open to taking up the issue.
After setting a May 5 trial date, Subramanian briefly questioned Combs’ lawyers about his treatment at the Metropolitan Detention Center, which has been plagued by violence and dysfunction for years.
Combs lawyer Mark Agnifilo, who had previously sought to have him moved to a jail in New Jersey, told the judge: “We’re making a go of the MDC. The MDC has been very responsive for us.”
Another Combs lawyer, Anthony Ricco, told reporters outside the courthouse afterward: “He’s doing fine. It’s a difficult circumstance. He’s making the best of the situation.”
But, Ricco said: “Nobody’s OK with staying in jail for now.”
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Wintry conditions put spring on hold in California
- The moon could get its own time zone. Here's why.
- Kristin Lyerly, Wisconsin doctor who sued to keep abortion legal in state, enters congressional race
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 'Ambitious' plan to reopen channel under collapsed Baltimore bridge by May's end announced
- This week on Sunday Morning (April 7)
- As Florida Smalltooth Sawfish Spin and Whirl, a New Effort to Rescue Them Begins
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- New Mexico electric vehicle mandates to remain in place as auto dealers fight the new rules
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- NC State's D.J. Burns has Purdue star Zach Edey's full attention and respect
- Missing 1923 Actor Cole Brings Plenty Found Dead in Woods at 27
- Missing 1923 Actor Cole Brings Plenty Found Dead in Woods at 27
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Wintry conditions put spring on hold in California
- LGBTQ+ foster youths could expect different experiences as Tennessee and Colorado pass opposing laws
- Judge says Trump’s lawyers can’t force NBC to turn over materials related to ‘Stormy’ documentary
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Foul play suspected in the disappearance of two Kansas women whose vehicle was found in Oklahoma
NC State's D.J. Burns has Purdue star Zach Edey's full attention and respect
Ohio teacher should be fired for lying about sick days to attend Nashville concert, board says
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Kristin Lyerly, Wisconsin doctor who sued to keep abortion legal in state, enters congressional race
When will solar eclipse reach your town? These maps show path's timing, how long it lasts.
Panthers sign Pro Bowl DT Derrick Brown to four-year, $96 million contract extension