Current:Home > StocksPentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks -Wealth Evolution Experts
Pentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 17:40:14
The suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people could escape the death penalty —along with four of his accused plotters— under a plea agreement being considered, CBS News has learned.
The Pentagon sent a letter this week to families of 9/11 victims revealing plea deals are being considered in which the five men, including suspected mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, would "accept criminal responsibility for their actions and plead guilty....in exchange for not receiving the death penalty."
The letter generated fresh outrage in Kristen Breitweiser, whose husband died in the South Tower of the World Trade Center. She has waited years to see the five men face trial.
"It's more heartbroken," Breitweiser told CBS News. "...I thought I lived in the United States of America. I thought we were a nation based upon the rule of law. And obviously, that's turned out not to be the case."
The five 9/11 defendants were held by the CIA before being transferred to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in 2006.
The prosecution of the defendants at Guantanamo Bay, which would be held in military tribunals, has been delayed for years, mainly complicated by the CIA's interrogation of the suspects that critics called "torture," and questions over whether the evidence extracted during those interrogations is admissible in court.
A defense lawyer for Ammar al-Baluchi, one of the accused plotters, told CBS News last year that a plea deal would end the impasse.
"He is willing to plead guilty, serve a long sentence at Guantanamo, in exchange for medical care for his torture, and taking the death penalty off the table," defense lawyer James Connell said in September 2022.
That doesn't satisfy Brad Blakeman, who lost his nephew Tommy Jurgen in the World Trade Center.
"We were told, and we were promised, that we would bring these people responsible to justice and we expect that to happen," Blakeman said.
If a plea deal goes ahead, and the 9/11 defendants get lengthy sentences, there's a law in place that prevents their transfer to U.S. soil and federal custody. That means the Guantanamo prison could remain open indefinitely.
Over the years, there have been proposals to move the trials from military tribunals to civilian court. However, that idea has faced strong resistance in Congress over concerns about security and the costs of moving defendants out of Guantanamo Bay.
— Catherine Herridge contributed to this report.
- In:
- Khalid Sheik Mohammed
- 9/11
Scott MacFarlane is a congressional correspondent for CBS News, reporting for all CBS News broadcasts and platforms.
TwitterveryGood! (6)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Linton Quadros – Founder of EIF Business School, AI Robotics profit 4.0 Strategy Explained
- JetBlue-Spirit Airlines merger blocked by judge over fears it would hurt competition
- Advocacy groups are petitioning for the end of SNAP interview requirements
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- US election commission loses another executive director as critical election year begins
- At 40, the Sundance Film Festival celebrates its past and looks to the future
- How the world economy could react to escalation in the Middle East
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Google layoffs continue as tech company eliminates hundreds of jobs in ad sales team
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Mike Tomlin plans to return to Steelers for 18th season as head coach, per report
- Linton Quadros – Founder of EIF Business School, AI Robotics profit 4.0 Strategy Explained
- 'More than the guiding light': Brian Barczyk dies at 54 after battling pancreatic cancer
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- US election commission loses another executive director as critical election year begins
- Mikaela Shiffrin scores emotional victory in slalom race for 94th World Cup skiing win
- New Zealand’s first refugee lawmaker resigns after claims of shoplifting
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Why Friends Cast Didn’t Host Matthew Perry Tribute at Emmys
Claire Fagin, 1st woman to lead an Ivy League institution, dies at 97, Pennsylvania university says
China starts publishing youth jobless data again, with a new method and a lower number
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Maryland governor restores $150 million of previously proposed cuts to transportation
Sudan suspends ties with east African bloc for inviting paramilitary leader to summit
Cuffed During Cuffing Season? Here Are The Best Valentine's Day Gifts For Those In A New Relationship