Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Chainkeen|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:41:41
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Chainkeenagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8216)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Trump lists his grievances in a Wisconsin speech intended to link Harris to illegal immigration
- Anna Delvey tells Tori Spelling she's not 'some abuser' after shared 'DWTS' eliminations
- Anthony Richardson injury update: Colts QB removed with possible hip pointer injury
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- In the Fight to Decide the Fate of US Steel, Climate and Public Health Take a Backseat to Politics
- Anna Delvey tells Tori Spelling she's not 'some abuser' after shared 'DWTS' eliminations
- 'Never gotten a response like this': Denial of Boar's Head listeria records raises questions
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Sister Wives: Christine Brown and Robyn Brown Have “Awkward” Reunion
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- 'I will never forgive you for this': Whole Foods' Berry Chantilly cake recipe has changed
- Jalen Milroe, Ryan Williams uncork an Alabama football party, humble Georgia, Kirby Smart
- Kristin Cavallari splits with 24-year-old boyfriend Mark Estes after 7 months
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Conservative Christians were skeptical of mail-in ballots. Now they are gathering them in churches
- California wildfire flareup prompts evacuation in San Bernardino County
- Every Bombshell From This Season of Sister Wives: Family Feuds, Money Disagreements and More
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Week 4 fantasy football rankings: PPR, half-PPR and standard leagues
Alabama football wants shot at Texas after handling Georgia: 'We're the top team.'
South Carolina power outage map: Nearly a million without power after Helene
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Oasis adds US, Canada and Mexico stops to 2025 tour
Lauren Conrad Shares Rare Update on Husband William Tell and Their 2 Sons
Kurt Cobain's Daughter Frances Bean Cobain Welcomes First Baby With Tony Hawk's Son Riley Hawk