Current:Home > StocksJury selection begins in contempt case against ex-Trump White House official Peter Navarro -Wealth Evolution Experts
Jury selection begins in contempt case against ex-Trump White House official Peter Navarro
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 19:41:36
WASHINGTON (AP) — Jury selection began Tuesday in the case against former Trump White House official Peter Navarro, who was charged with contempt of Congress after he refused to cooperate with a congressional investigation into the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Navarro, a former economics professor, served as a White House staffer under then-President Donald Trump and later promoted the Republican’s baseless claims of mass voter fraud in the 2020 election he lost. Navarro has said that Trump invoked executive privilege, barring him from cooperating with the House Jan. 6 committee. His trial is expected to last through the end of the week.
U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta has ruled Navarro’s executive privilege argument isn’t a defense against the charges, finding that Navarro hadn’t shown evidence Trump invoked it.
Navarro was charged last year with two misdemeanor contempt counts, one for failing to appear for a deposition before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack and a second for failing to produce documents the committee requested. Each count is punishable by up to a year behind bars.
Navarro, who has pleaded not guilty, was the second Trump aide to face criminal charges after former White House adviser Steve Bannon. Bannon was convicted of two counts of contempt of Congress and was sentenced to four months behind bars, though he has been free pending appeal.
Trump faces a federal indictment in Washington, D.C., and a state indictment in Georgia over his efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss to Joe Biden, a Democrat. He has denied wrongdoing and has said he was acting within the law.
The House Jan. 6 committee’s final report said Trump criminally engaged in a “multi-part conspiracy” to overturn the lawful results of the 2020 election and failed to act to stop his supporters from attacking the Capitol.
veryGood! (64565)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- John Durham, Trump-era special counsel, testifies about sobering report on FBI's Russia probe
- Rep. Jamie Raskin says his cancer is in remission
- Irina Shayk Proves Lingerie Can Be High-Fashion With Risqué Cannes Film Festival Look
- 'Most Whopper
- U.S. Ranks Near Bottom on Energy Efficiency; Germany Tops List
- New figures reveal scope of military discrimination against LGBTQ troops, with over 29,000 denied honorable discharges
- Wind Industry, Riding Tax-Credit Rollercoaster, Reports Year of Growth
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Moose attacks man walking dogs in Colorado: She was doing her job as a mom
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- California Startup Turns Old Wind Turbines Into Gold
- In W.Va., New GOP Majority Defangs Renewable Energy Law That Never Had a Bite
- Thor Actor Ray Stevenson Dead at 58
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- They're trying to cure nodding syndrome. First they need to zero in on the cause
- What is the birthstone for August? These three gems represent the month of August.
- Advisers to the FDA back first over-the-counter birth control pill
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Why Was the Government’s Top Alternative Energy Conference Canceled?
You'll Simply Adore Harry Styles' Reunion With Grammys Superfan Reina Lafantaisie
Apple AirTags can track your keys, wallet and luggage—save 10% today
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Another Pipeline Blocked for Failure to Consider Climate Emissions
Judge Deals Blow to Tribes in Dakota Access Pipeline Ruling
Germany’s Clean Energy Shift Transformed Industrial City of Hamburg