Current:Home > NewsHarvey Weinstein Indicted on New Sexual Assault Charges in New York After Overturned Conviction -Wealth Evolution Experts
Harvey Weinstein Indicted on New Sexual Assault Charges in New York After Overturned Conviction
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:23:06
Harvey Weinstein is facing more legal trouble.
The disgraced film producer has been indicted by a New York City grand jury on new sexual assault charges, prosecutors announced during a Sept. 12 court hearing, according to NBC News.
The new indictment is under seal, prosecutor Nicole Blumberg stated per the outlet and no further specifics are known. The trial date is set for Nov. 12.
Weinstein was not present in court for the hearing, which comes days after he was taken from Rikers Island jail and hospitalized for emergency heart surgery. According to NBC News, his arraignment will be finalized after he recovers from his health battle.
E! News has reached out to Weinstein's attorneys for comment and has not yet heard back.
The latest charges brought against the 72-year-old comes after the New York Court of Appeals announced in April that Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction had been overturned, ordering a new trial for the producer, who was previously sentenced to 23 years in prison in the case.
In the decision previously obtained by E! News, the state's highest court noted that the "trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes because that testimony served no material non-propensity purpose."
At the time, Weinstein's lawyer Arthur Aidala told the New York Times the development was "not just a victory for Mr. Weinstein, but for every criminal defendant in the state of New York, and we compliment the Court of Appeals for upholding the most basic principles that a criminal defendant should have in a trial."
However, a Manhattan DA spokesperson told NBC News at the time, "We will do everything in our power to retry this case, and remain steadfast in our commitment to survivors of sexual assault."
In addition to receiving 20 years in prison with five years of post-release supervision for criminal sexual act in the first degree, Weinstein was also sentenced to three years in prison with five years of post-release supervision for rape in the third degree, NBC News reported at the time and was ordered to serve these sentences consecutively.
Three years later, in February 2023, Weinstein was sentenced by a Los Angeles jury separately to 16 years in prison for one count of forcible rape and two counts of sexual assault.
(E! and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (241)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Remembering the horrors of Auschwitz, German chancellor warns of antisemitism, threats to democracy
- As Washington crime spikes, DOJ vows to send more resources to reeling city
- The popularity of a far-right party produces counter-rallies across Germany
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Royal Rumble winner Cody Rhodes agrees that Vince McMahon lawsuit casts 'dark cloud' over WWE
- Why Joel Embiid missed fourth consecutive game at Denver following late scratch
- How to find your Spotify Daylist: Changing playlists that capture 'every version of you'
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Rep. Nancy Mace's former chief of staff files to run against her in South Carolina
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- What women's college basketball games are on this weekend? The five best to watch
- Appeals court reinstates sales ban on Apple Watch models with blood oxygen monitor
- Hurry, Lululemon Added Hundreds of Items to Their We Made Too Much Section, From $39 Leggings to $29 Tees
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Thousands march against femicide in Kenya following the January slayings of at least 14 women
- Thousands march against femicide in Kenya following the January slayings of at least 14 women
- Fake George Carlin comedy special purportedly made with AI prompts lawsuit from his estate
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
3 men were found dead in a friend’s backyard after watching a Chiefs game. Here’s what we know
WWE PPV schedule 2024: When, where every premium live event will be this year
Virgin Galactic launches 4 space tourists to the edge of space and back
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Lionel Messi and Inter Miami are in Saudi Arabia to continue their around-the-world preseason tour
New Hampshire vet admits he faked wheelchair use for 20 years, falsely claiming $660,000 in benefits
Tesla recalls nearly 200,000 cars over software glitch that prevents rearview camera display