Current:Home > reviews4 children, ages 11-14, shot while driving around in stolen car in Minneapolis, police say -Wealth Evolution Experts
4 children, ages 11-14, shot while driving around in stolen car in Minneapolis, police say
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 21:27:21
Four children under the age of 15 were shot, with one wounded critically, after they were found driving a stolen car in Minneapolis over the weekend, according to police.
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said in a press conference while officers were responding to several ShotSpotter activations in Minneapolis just after 1 a.m. Sunday, they were also notified of a 911 call reporting a vehicle with multiple people shot inside.
There were five children inside the car, four of whom had gunshot wounds: two injured boys and two injured girls, O'Hara said. The children were all between ages 11-14, and were taken to Hennepin County Medical Center. O'Hara said one of the girls was shot in the head and was in critical, but stable condition. The other three juveniles were treated for non-life threatening injuries.
A fifth child in the car was uninjured. O'Hara said he was detained on the scene when the car was discovered to be stolen, but was released to his parents after officers determined he was 11 years old.
None of the names of the injured children have been released.
Car chase:9-year-old California boy leads police on chase while driving himself to school: Reports
Children were shot at by another driver while riding around in stolen Kia
According to a preliminary investigation from police, the juveniles were driving the stolen Kia when a dark-colored sedan began following them and someone inside shot at them with "fully automatic gunfire." O'Hara said around 30 pieces of ballistic evidence were recovered from the scene, although even more rounds may have been fired.
The shooter fled the scene, and police have not made any arrests.
Police said the five juveniles will not be charged due to state statue limitations regarding their age.
In another press conference, O'Hara said the shooting was "preventable," as the Hennepin County Attorney's Office could have taken "at least two" of the juveniles in the days prior to the shooting after their individual cases had been referred for felony charges Aug. 9. O'Hara did not name the two juveniles, or what the felony charges were.
veryGood! (78)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- New Mexico village battered by wildfires in June now digging out from another round of flooding
- Paris Olympics: LeBron James to Serve as Flagbearer for Team USA at Opening Ceremony
- As Georgia presses on with ‘Russia-style’ laws, its citizens describe a country on the brink
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- 'Bachelorette' star's ex is telling all on TikTok: What happens when your ex is everywhere
- TNT sports announces it will match part of new NBA rights deal, keep league on channel
- Mark Carnevale, PGA Tour winner and broadcaster, dies at 64
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Local sheriff says shots fired inside an Iowa mall
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Video shows aftermath from train derailing, crashing into New York garage
- Conservatives use shooting at Trump rally to attack DEI efforts at Secret Service
- With US vehicle prices averaging near $50K, General Motors sees 2nd-quarter profits rise 15%
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- As doctors leave Puerto Rico in droves, a rapper tries to fill the gaps
- Jordan Love won't practice at Packers training camp until contract extension is reached
- Tyson Campbell, Jaguars agree to four-year, $76.5 million contract extension, per report
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
See Claim to Fame Contestant Dedrick’s “Strange” Reaction to Celebrity Relative Guesses
Foreign leaders react to Biden's decision not to seek reelection
Bryson DeChambeau to host Donald Trump on podcast, says it's 'about golf' and 'not politics'
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Google makes abrupt U-turn by dropping plan to remove ad-tracking cookies on Chrome browser
Hailey Bieber shows off baby bump in W Magazine cover, opens up about relationship
Cyber security startup Wiz reportedly rejects $23 billion acquisition proposal from Google