Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|Man accused of locking a woman in a cell in Oregon faces rape, kidnapping charges in earlier case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Burley Garcia|Man accused of locking a woman in a cell in Oregon faces rape, kidnapping charges in earlier case
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:30:17
PORTLAND,Burley Garcia Ore. (AP) — A man accused of abducting a woman in Seattle, driving her hundreds of miles to his home in Oregon and locking her in a makeshift cinder block cell is facing fresh charges of kidnapping and rape in a separate case involving alleged crimes two months earlier, court documents show.
An indictment returned by a grand jury in southern Oregon’s Klamath County says that on or around May 6, Negasi Zuberi kidnapped a victim referred to as an unidentified Jane Doe in the county in order to rape her. The indictment also alleges that he knowingly injured the victim by using or threatening to use weapons including a handgun and a stun gun.
Zuberi was indicted on 11 counts, including first-degree rape, sexual abuse and kidnapping. The indictment was filed with the Klamath County Circuit Court last week.
Online court records didn’t appear to list a defense attorney for Zuberi for the case, which is in the state court system. There was no immediate response Saturday afternoon to an email and voicemail left with the defense attorney assigned to the other case, which is in federal court, asking whether he was also representing Zuberi in the new case.
Zuberi already faces charges of interstate kidnapping and transporting an individual across state lines with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, related to the incident that led to his arrest in July. Zuberi has pleaded not guilty to those charges.
Prosecutors in the federal case say he solicited a woman on July 15 to engage in prostitution along Aurora Avenue in Seattle, an area known for sex work.
Afterward, Zuberi told the woman he was an undercover officer, showed her a badge, pointed a stun gun at her and placed her in handcuffs and leg irons before putting her in the back of his vehicle, the criminal complaint says.
He then drove to his home in Klamath Falls and locked her in the cinder block cell, the FBI said.
The woman managed to break some of the door’s welded joints, creating a small opening that she climbed through, according to authorities.
After she escaped and flagged down a motorist, police went to the house and found handwritten notes with plans for an apparent dungeon 100 feet (30 meters) below ground, authorities said.
Zuberi fled and was arrested by state police in Reno, Nevada, on July 16, the FBI said.
The FBI said it was looking for additional victims after linking him to violent sexual assaults in other states.
The federal case is set to go to trial later this year.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- North Korea slams new U.S. human rights envoy, calling Julie Turner political housemaid and wicked woman
- Trump attorney vows strong defense against latest indictment: We are in a constitutional abyss
- Lizzo’s Former Creative Director and Documentary Filmmaker Speak Out Against Singer
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Kim Cattrall Makes Surprise And Just Like That Appearance Ahead of Season Finale Cameo
- Gunman shot on community college campus in San Diego after killing police dog, authorities say
- Florida State women's lacrosse seeks varsity sport status, citing Title IX
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Florida sheriff deputy jumps onto runaway boat going over 40 mph off coast, stops it from driving
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Texas Medicaid drops 82% of its enrollees since April
- Drug agents fatally shoot 19-year-old man in Georgia. They say he pulled out a gun
- How to check if a QR code is safe: With QR code scams popping up, what to look out for
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Leah Remini files lawsuit against Church of Scientology after 'years of harassment'
- Two-time World Cup champion Germany eliminated after 1-1 draw with South Korea
- Keep quiet, put down the phone: Bad behavior in blockbusters sparks theater-etiquette discussion
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Post Malone chases happiness, chicken nuggets and love in new album 'Austin'
A zoo in China insists this is a bear, not a man in a bear suit
100 years after a president's death, a look at the prediction that haunted his first lady
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $330 Crossbody Bag for Just $69
Man dies at jail in Atlanta that’s currently under federal investigation
'Love is Blind' star Nick Thompson says he could become 'homeless,' blames Netflix