Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Johnathan Walker:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 01:20:23
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Johnathan Walkeragain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Alec Baldwin asks judge to dismiss involuntary manslaughter indictment in 'Rust' case
- Banning same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, a Japanese high court rules
- Georgia Labor Commissioner Bruce Thompson says he has pancreatic cancer
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Migrants lacking passports must now submit to facial recognition to board flights in US
- Hard-throwing teens draw scouts, scholarships. More and more, they may also need Tommy John surgery
- 50 killed in anti-sorcery rituals after being forced to drink mysterious liquid, Angola officials say
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Kentucky GOP moves to criminalize interference with legislature after transgender protests
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Russell Wilson Is the MVP After Helping Ciara With Her Breastmilk
- Bears land Pro Bowl wide receiver Keenan Allen in shocking trade with Chargers
- Maryland Senate votes for Gov. Wes Moore’s gun violence prevention center
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Monica Sementilli and Robert Baker jail love affair reveals evidence of murder conspiracy, say prosecutors
- Atlantic Shores offshore wind farm in New Jersey would have 157 turbines and be 8.4 miles from shore
- Petco CEO Ron Coughlin steps down, ex-BestBuy exec named as replacement
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Prince William and Prince Harry Honor Late Mom Princess Diana With Separate Appearances
Missouri Senate passes sweeping education funding bill
Lost Your Keys Again? Get 35% off Tile Bluetooth Trackers
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Republicans push back on new federal court policy aimed at ‘judge shopping’ in national cases
Exclusive: Social Security chief vows to fix cruel-hearted overpayment clawbacks
South Carolina's MiLaysia Fulwiley becomes first college player to sign with Curry Brand