Current:Home > reviewsStanding Rock Leaders Tell Dakota Pipeline Protesters to Leave Protest Camp -Wealth Evolution Experts
Standing Rock Leaders Tell Dakota Pipeline Protesters to Leave Protest Camp
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:32:15
This story was updated Jan. 24, 2017, to reflect President Trump’s presidential memorandum to advance construction of the Dakota Access pipeline.
After months of largely peaceful protests by thousands of demonstrators from across the country who congregated at a camp near Cannon Ball, N.D., to help bring the Dakota Access pipeline to a halt, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has asked the pipeline opponents to go home.
The tribe said it plans to continue its action against the pipeline in the courts, but the protest camp has run its course. The protesters have until Jan. 30 to depart the main camp, according to a resolution passed by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council in Fort Yates on Friday. It also said the tribe may call on federal law enforcement officials to help them remove protesters from all of the camps and to block their re-entry if they haven’t left in 30 days.
“Moving forward, our ultimate objective is best served by our elected officials, navigating strategically through the administrative and legal processes,” the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe said in a statement. “For this reason, we ask the protectors to vacate the camps and head home with our most heartfelt thanks.”
The plea came a day before the political debate was revived by Donald Trump‘s presidential memorandum on Tuesday calling on the pipeline to be built. Opposition leaders said they had not immediately decided whether to retract their call to clear the camp.
“We are prepared to push back on any reckless decision made by this administration,” Dallas Goldtooth, campaign director for the Indigenous Environmental Network, said Tuesday. “If Trump does not pull back from implementing these orders it will only result in more massive mobilization and civil disobedience on a scale never seen [by] a newly seated president of the United States.”
The call to clear the camp had also highlighted concerns about spring flooding—the camp lies in a flood zone expected to be inundated by spring snowmelt—and economic hardship suffered by the tribe due to a highway closure caused by the ongoing protests. Several hundred protesters have remained in the camp through the winter, down from the high of nearly 10,000 in early December.
The Standing Rock tribe won a major victory against the builder of the $3.8 billion pipeline, Energy Transfer Partners, on Dec. 4 when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers called for a more complete environmental analysis. The process could delay construction by a year or more and could involve rerouting the pipeline. It is still unclear what the Trump administration will do.
Following the Army Corps decision, Standing Rock tribal chairman Dave Archambault urged protesters to return home as their opposition shifted to a legal battle and as potentially life-threatening winter storms and sub-zero temperatures set in. The region has since been hit with record snowfalls, increasing the probability that Oceti Sakowin, the main protest camp which sits on a floodplain near the Missouri River, will be underwater as early as March.
Residents of Cannon Ball, the district of the Standing Rock reservation closest to Oceti Sakowin, passed a resolution last week opposing the establishment of any new winter camp within their district. Residents expressed frustration over a highway closure near the camp that significantly increased the driving time to Bismarck, where many residents work, shop and receive medical care. Residents also expressed concern over the Cannon Ball gym, which has been used as an emergency shelter for pipeline opponents. The community uses the gym for sporting events, meetings and funerals, and it is in need of cleaning and repair.
Archambault continued to press the case against the pipeline speaking alongside former Vice President Al Gore and Amy Goodman, a journalist from Democracy Now, at the Sundance Film Festival last Sunday.
When asked about the Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines at a press briefing on Monday, Sean Spicer, Trump’s press secretary, said Trump may attempt to overrule the Army Corp’s decision to halt the pipeline. “I don’t want to get in front of the president’s executive actions,” he said, but the president wants to “maximize our use of natural resources.”
veryGood! (329)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Apollo theater and Opera Philadelphia partner to support new operas by Black artists
- Little Caesars new Crazy Puffs menu item has the internet going crazy: 'Worth the hype'
- 6 wounded, some severely, in fight outside Utah funeral home
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Polygamous sect member pleads guilty in scheme to orchestrate sexual acts involving children
- Kansas' Kevin McCullar Jr. will miss March Madness due to injury
- First Four launches March Madness 2024. Here's everything to know about women's teams.
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Mega Millions jackpot reaches $977 million after no one wins Tuesday’s drawing
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- The first ‘cyberflasher’ is convicted under England’s new law and gets more than 5 years in prison
- How 2 companies are taking different approaches to carbon capture as climate reports show rising temperatures
- The first day of spring in 2024 is a day earlier than typical years. Here's why.
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Wagner wins First Four game vs. Howard: Meet UNC's opponent in March Madness first round
- Massachusetts man latest to plead guilty in takedown of catalytic converter theft crew
- 'The Voice' coaches Chance the Rapper and John Legend battle over contestant Nadége
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Battleship on the Delaware River: USS New Jersey traveling to Philadelphia for repairs
Body found in western New York reservoir leads to boil-water advisory
JetBlue will drop some cities and reduce LA flights to focus on more profitable routes
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
MacKenzie Scott, billionaire philanthropist and Amazon co-founder, donates $640 million to hundreds of nonprofits
Stock market today: Asian shares follow Wall St higher as markets await a rate decision by the Fed
ESPN anchor Hannah Storm reveals breast cancer diagnosis