Current:Home > MyMuslim inmate asks that state not autopsy his body after execution -Wealth Evolution Experts
Muslim inmate asks that state not autopsy his body after execution
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 20:23:18
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama inmate will not ask the courts to block his execution next week but is requesting that the state not perform an autopsy on his body because of his Muslim faith, according to a lawsuit.
Keith Edmund Gavin, 64, is scheduled to be executed July 18 by lethal injection. Gavin was convicted in the 1998 shooting death of a delivery driver who had stopped at an ATM to get money.
Gavin filed a lawsuit last month asking a judge to block the state from performing an autopsy after his execution. It has been the standard practice in the state to perform autopsies after executions.
“Mr. Gavin is a devout Muslim. His religion teaches that the human body is a sacred temple, which must be kept whole. As a result, Mr. Gavin sincerely believes that an autopsy would desecrate his body and violate the sanctity of keeping his human body intact. Based on his faith, Mr. Gavin is fiercely opposed to an autopsy being performed on his body after his execution,” his attorneys wrote in the lawsuit filed in state court in Montgomery.
His attorneys said they filed the lawsuit after being unable to have “meaningful discussions” with state officials about his request to avoid an autopsy. They added that the court filing is not an attempt to stay the execution and that “Gavin does not anticipate any further appeals or requests for stays of his execution.”
William Califf, a spokesman for Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall, said Tuesday that “we are working on a resolution.”
Gavin was convicted of capital murder for the 1998 shooting death of William Clinton Clayton Jr. in Cherokee County in northeast Alabama. Clayton, a delivery driver, was shot when he stopped at an ATM to get money to take his wife to dinner, prosecutors said.
A jury voted 10-2 in favor of the death penalty for Gavin. The trial court accepted the jury’s recommendation and sentenced him to death.
veryGood! (8161)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- A drunken boater forever changed this woman's life. Now she's on a mission.
- The Daily Money: Identity theft victims face a long wait for refunds
- Arthur Crudup: What to know about the bluesman who wrote Elvis’s first hit and barely got paid
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Hospital to pay $300K to resolve drug recordkeeping allegations
- From fake rentals to theft, scammers are targeting your car
- Supreme Court orders new look at social media laws in Texas and Florida
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 16-year-old Quincy Wilson becomes youngest American male track Olympian ever
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Supreme Court orders new look at social media laws in Texas and Florida
- In wake of Supreme Court ruling, Biden administration tells doctors to provide emergency abortions
- Mistrial declared in Karen Read trial for murder of boyfriend John O'Keefe
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Former Iowa police chief sentenced to 5 years in prison in federal gun case
- Pepsi Pineapple is back! Tropical soda available this summer only at Little Caesars
- Former Moelis banker seen punching woman is arrested on assault charges
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
2 adults dead, child critically injured in Maryland apartment fire
Ticketmaster confirms data breach, won't say how many North American customers compromised
Indiana Rep. Victoria Spartz charged with weapons violation at Virginia airport
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Mistrial declared in Karen Read trial for murder of boyfriend John O'Keefe
Whitney Port Gives Update on Surrogacy Journey Following Two Miscarriages
Badminton Star Zhang Zhijie Dead At 17 After Collapsing On Court During Match